That was some weak-ass shit, Los Angeles Lakers.

Hey Lakers, listen up. Rick Fox, I’m talking to you.

You do not throw an attempted alley-oop in the waning seconds of a game in which you lead by eight.

Especially when the other team has conceded the game and is waiting for you to dribble out the clock.

Especially when, for the last twenty seconds, you’d been dribbling out the clock.

Especially in the last game of the NBA Finals.

Especially on the other team’s floor.

And especiallly when that attempted alley-oop pass turns into a line-drive three-pointer, putting your team up by eleven as the final buzzer sounds.

Not exactly what I would call classy.

Amen. As a Pitizen, the rant is weak, but as a Sixers fan, it’s spot-on.

Fuck you and your how-the-hell-did-he-do-that three pointers, Rick Fox! May you toil in Vancouver next season!

I agree that it appeared to be a pretty weak stunt but the 24 second clock was about 0.8 seconds ahead of the game clock. If he would have just held on to it the Sixers would have had to take the ball inbounds one more time. I would hope that he was just tossing the ball at the rim so the game would end without the last inbounds pass. I would hope.

Haj

Vaness L Williams promised him that “thing” he’s been asking for if he scored the last point in the game. You know, that kinky move. Score!

Why is that so weak? Does it make any difference at all if you lose the series by 11 points instead of 8? I can see how it’s polite to not try to make any extra points after you’ve already won, but it looked to me like he just chucked it at the basket for fun, as the game was obviously over. Once the game is over, why does anyone care about the final score?

Of course, I rooted for the Lakers, so I obviously have a different perspective on the game in question. :smiley:

It’s called Running Up The Score, and there have been pretty nasty fights over it.

Nobody likes to lose. Typically, they like it even less when you rub their nose in it.

I dunno. One final second basket (even for three whole points) does not make it into my vocabulary as “running up the score.” Putting in your best five and driving to the basket repeatedly when you begin with a 20 point lead with one minute left would be running up the score. Tossing a single shot just doesn’t make it.

I can sort of see your point, but it still doesn’t make much sense to me. It’s OK for one team to be better and win, but it’s rude for them to be a lot better?

Me, if I’m playing a game with somebody and it’s obvious they’re going to win, I find it condescending for them to go easy on me at the end, so I don’t lose so bad.

However, I see no need to get into a big thing here. I can can just accept this as a mysterious code of conduct in sporting events and leave it at that. :slight_smile:

Ha ha!! The Philly fans fully deserved that. They heap abuse upon abuse on opposing players, but when Fox sicks it in their eyes, they wail like dogs and stick their tails betweeen their legs.

It is unfortunate that the 76ers were the recipient of that little rudeness at the end, after the gallant effort they put on throughout the series. But I don’t have any sympathy for the fans there, who were so rude that they couldn’t even hold a decent championship trophy ceremony.

Explain how attempting to add unnecessary points to a score is anything other than adding unnecessary points to a score, and you will have a valid point. Until then, you do not.

I would go on, but I don’t want to run it up on you. :rolleyes:

This has got to be the weakest complaint to ever pass through the SDMB.

Now, the second.

As a 76ers fan, I agree:

WHO CARES???

Yet another case for a “Sports Only” forum on the SDMB. I can’t believe I’ve wasted this much time on the OP already.:rolleyes:

Thank you, Vinnie, for summing up what Mr. Hecubus has, apparently, missed.

Stop whining.

Why should they resist their natural urge to score points? So they Don’t hurt the Sixer’s feelings??? Maybe the Sixers should have played hard defense until the final buzzer sounded.

Dude! I understand that this is the Pit and all, but yeesh! Isn’t that a little harsh?

I mean, raped by yaks or hung upside down in the town square or something I could understand.

But Vancouver???

Funny how people thought this thread might have sports in it. I never would have guessed. Nope, not even with the thread title.

The real irony would be if the Grizzlies moved to Memphis and Rick Fox showed up to work everyday and ended up watching the Canucks play hockey.

Fox made enough stupid, unsuccessful shots in earlier games, so it’s the least he could have done - even just to redeem himself.