That's just not fair CK Haven.

Well I thought it was a pitting of an administrative decision. And I win because I wrote it!

Before I posted, starting with the OP:

I mean, just in case the record matters.

Try not to prove my point, Lib.

They were talking about the show. The parts they liked. The fact that it was political was incidental to talking about the show. It wasn’t until you’re hissy fit that the talk actually turned to politics.

By"right wing", they meant stage right or something?

Will this post pointing out that I misspelled “your” beat out someone nitpicking my grammar? Let’s find out.

I did mention that already, Lib. The OP began political. The urinal was open. But that thread devolved into a lighter discussion, a squeeky clean urinal. Then, you came and used the clean urinal, even tho there was a slighty used one right next to it (in IMHO). This pissed off the people playing in the clean urinal.

Notice I didn’t say you were totally out of line. It WAS a discussion about a political show. But you came into it itching for a fight or at least to make your opinion of the matter of the politics of the show completely heard.

I’m not trashing you or Biggirl. I just think that a discussion about a political show belongs in a forum that allows political discussion. That’s my main purpose for even being in this thread.

Biggirl

When did you and I first fall out? Do you remember? I don’t. We seem to have a long history of enmity. But I’m now officially an old man. I don’t want to die with you as an enemy. If there’s anything I can do unilaterally to mend our relationship, short of something compromising or impossible, let me know what it is, and I’ll do it. I know you say you’re not pitting me here, but who hasn’t taken it that way? Let me begin by apologizing for ruining the thread for you. It wasn’t my intention. Also, I’ll bow out of this thread, so you can get it back on track as an administrative pitting. But I’ll check back for your message. Here’s hoping we can work things out.

Lib

No, we never had a fallout. But you keep doing things that piss me off. When someone pisses me off, I usually tell them.

Then perhaps what I should have done, since I was pissed off too, was to bring the matter to the Pit. Next time, I will. Thanks, Biggirl. You truly are.

Aaaand now we have the “I’m so sorry interpersonal touchy-feely post but I will never change my noxious posting style” post, pretty much on schedule. I swear, it is as predictable as the changing of the seasons or the Earth’s yearly journey around the Sun.

I am not here to Pit a Mod, per se–I figure, it’s their playground. But, I can and will express my frustrations about this ludicrous situation.

Ya know, I’ve been posting here for awhile (not all that long, really) but I see patterns already.

And here it is: yet another thread is started for an innoucous purpose. The tone is light hearted and appreciative. And along comes…Liberal,

I opened TDS thread because I, too, had watched and enjoyed it. The show’s writing and timing were brilliant in topics and in execution. Very well done.

Imagine my dismay when I saw that Liberal had decided to “join the conversation”. Talk about wet rags! He douched the party with a nasty cold shower of unneccessary input.
And then, of course, the thread turned into rebuttals of Lib’s position; defense in response to and defense of **Lib’s ** criticism, observation of **Lib’s ** past posting patterns. It quickly became all about Lib . <yawn>

Deja vu all over again.

I don’t agree with you politically, Lib, but I have no beef with your politcal stance. I do have one with anyone(and this seems to be a habit with you) coming in to shit on a light-hearted CS thread.

I would ask what exactly is your problem, but I really don’t want to feed your narcissism, and you have said yourself that you won’t participate in this thread.

I am annoyed that I am no longer able (because I didn’t see the thread until it was already closed) to comment as I would have liked on that particular episode.

Thanks for that, Lib . Yet another example of how the board benefits from your unwavering dedication to driving your political points home. Excelsior! Liberal !

About thread hijacking: it takes more than one person to cause this.

I see a lot of potentially hijacking posts that DON’T derail the threads they are in BECAUSE no one else follows along on the side track and instead further posts stick to the OP subject.

If you read a post and it seems to you out of place, why not just ignore it? Or do that ‘report to a moderator’? As I understand it, a moderator can delete just a single post (assuming they agree with the complaint) and leave the thread open, but if follow up posters are responding to that post the entire thread has to die.

Okay, I understand that maybe you vehemently object to whatever the out-of-place post says and want to refute it…but is that worth losing the original thread? Head for the pit and rebut it there. Or open an appropriate thread in GD, or whatever the new topic fits.

By rebutting in the thread, you’re HELPING kill the thread. You’re ENABLING the out of place poster. You’re REWARDING that poster by giving him/her feedback and attention. We all need to stop doing that.

If we all give hijacking posts a huge heaping serving of being ignored, in the short term we’ll ‘save’ our thread and in the long term I bet we’ll see fewer of them.

Hey I was the OP, I first posted on just the Opening Dialogue. I later posted on the Dukes & College kids. What made this instantly political? I thought O’reilly was just a commentator not a politician?
Liberal really turned in political if you read through the Thread it was overwhelmingly humor until he piped in.

Starving --you have a point, but the offender is one who has a long track record of just such train wrecks. He then appears puzzled and dismayed that his vitriol should have such an effect. And then we have further sidetracks about what constitutes vitriol and on and on and on…final tally: it’s all about Liberal,

Heck, I’ve only been posting for about 8 months now, and I see the pattern.

I used to counsel, “just ignore him; don’t take the bait”, too, but Lib will not be gainsaid.

We could have tried to wrestle the thread back but it’s closed now. CK did chastise Lib before closing it. I just wished he hadn’t closed it.

I actually thought I requested it to be moved. Instead is is closed. I need a better way to request the move.

Closing the thread was bullshit. I know it would be ideal if everyone involved could have ignored Lib’s pissing all over the thing, but the level of restraint that requires would tax the most saintly.

He should have been told to keep his snide, unproductive comments to himself, and the discussion about how funny that particular episode of The Daily Show was should have been allowed to continue. Because it was funny—outrageously so in places.

And, for the record, i thought the funniest thing on the whole show was not even the ragging on Novak or O’Reilly. It was Colbert’s interview with the NAACP guy. My wife and i both had tears streaming down our faces during that one.

I agree that the closing was unfortunate: I think a warning to Lib would have sufficed, telling him to butt the fuck out and let folks discuss the show without being subject to his sanctimonious lecturing. After all, as someone who doesn’t have The Daily Show, I was looking forward to reading the discussion, and it prompted me to visit Comedy Central’s website to download what clips of the show I could find (I still can’t find the O’Reilly bit or the Dukes of Hazzard bit).

Biggirl, I feel for ya, vis a vis Lib’s “apology.” A wee bit creepy, ain’t it, becoming a bit player in his psychodrama? And I do mean psycho. He recently informed me that he wasn’t going to play that game with me any more, a better declaration of mercy than I’ve received in a long time.

Daniel

Was that were the guy said something lile “Some folks think it was fun to lynch black people” and Colbert said “That’s where you and I differ!”

That was one of the funniest things I have EVER seen.

Oh, it was amazing. My son and I were breathless thru the whole bit.

I loves me some Jon Stewart, but oh! Stephen Colbert!

And Cooter! I don’t really like raunchy humor but I cracked up at the frat boys. Perfect.
“Who’s Cooter”
“the mechanic”
“oh-fuck him!”
Pure fun.

I think they have gotten sharper and more wicked lately–it’s like lancing a boil.
There was a show on recently where Stewart eviscerated the guest–guy wrote a book: 100 Things Wrong with America or some such…relentless and rapier.

Loved it!

PS-there is a write up in last July New Yorker about Stephen Colbert and his new show. Can’t wait!