That's what you get for beating off a tiger

Wow. All I can do is stand and applaud and await the flames for having laughed at such a thing.

God, I loves me some bad puns.

drug him offstage? drug him offstage? Some reporters need to be castrated . . . offstage or onstage.

Pall Mauls.

Your pitting a guy for trying to save his life. Hmm… I guess the next time someone at the zoo gets injured by an animal they are dealing with they should just let it finish before getting medical help huh. :wally:

I got whooshed too. I feel like such a noob.

elucidator, I can always count on you. :smiley:

Are you sure his name wasn’t Claude?

Remember that tiger thread where I said anything other than getting attacked by a tiger is “socialization and domestication, to the extent that is possible”? Well, now you have an idea where the extent of that latitude goes. Even a tiger raised by a human can have a bitchy moment. Severe injury is often the result.

When I volunteered with tigers, the boss had a couple bite stores – with the puncture scars to prove it.

I always tell people this, “In parts of India, they don’t wear masks on the backs of their head because it is Halloween every day of the year.”

stor(i)es, heads

:smack:

I stood 3 feet away from a white tiger a couple of weeks ago - if you’re ever in Texas, visit this sanctuary: www.bigcat.org

Ten years ago, the woman managing this feline sanctuary allowed people to get in the cages, touch the cats, etc. - she was then mauled critically by a jaguar. Needless to say, the rules have changed since that time.

Big cats are not domestic housecats, and while I appreciate the exposure that S&R’s show gives them in educating people about their possible extinction, it simply doesn’t make sense to teach big cats circus tricks. You can’t assume they won’t turn on you - it’s their instinct, and we were never intended to encounter them directly, IMHO.

I wish Roy well and hope he recovers. I also hope that my grandchildren will be able to witness the amazing beauty of a tiger in the flesh, as opposed to looking at a picture in a book.

I thought white tigers were Siberian?

Count me as another one who isn’t surprised and is rather annoyed at people who take these wild animals and turn them into toys and spectacles. That’s not what they’re around for.

The closest I want to get to a white tiger is my big stuffed one, Sasha. That’s enough.

Rock on, Guin. BTW: got any pictures of you and Sasha? Mr. B liiiiike.

They are actually white Bengals and very few remain on planet Earth. Here’s a website:

http://www.white-tigers.org/

Funny shit, man…Rarely do I laugh out loud with anything posted, but this did. Since I had seen on-line CNN’s coverage of this, I knew exactly what he was talking about. I hadn’t a clue what you meant though, and couldn’t imagine anyone thinking it was anything else, until I scrolled back up and re-read the title:

**That’s what you get for beating off a tiger **

Damn, I’m still laughing. I’m going to have to make it to the Pit more often.

JZ

Regarding the phraseology used in the story, “beating the tiger off with a microphone,” I guarantee the reporter did this on purpose. When I was a reporter, my colleagues and I always tried to see what we could slip past the editors-- hell, sometimes the editors were laughing just as hard as us, and let it go.

I always slipped the word “erect” into stories about new construction projects. Juvenile? Yes. But it always made me giggle like Beavis.

Happy

Poor Guinn. Has to shlepp all the way downtown again for another restraining order.

In Soviet Russia, tigers beat YOU!

My understanding is that the white coloring is the result of some mutation that has been preserved through inbreeding. The white color is not ‘natural’ in the sense that it is not, and never was, found in the wild.

If I hadn’t read the news story this morning…
I still would have opened this thread.

I worked at a zoo once. They had a Sumatran tiger named Dolores and she was the crankiest bitch of a creature to ever grace this planet. I never got in the enclosure with her but i used to have to mow the grass in the gap between the two fences (a safety system; fence, gap, fence, tiger. an enclosure within an enclosure). It’s eery getting stalked by something that big. I’d keep an eye on her to see where she was…getting closer, look away…look again, getting closer, look away and then BANG! Seven foot of tiger hanging from the fence about a foot away from you, three inch claws sticking through the fence and hissing in your face like my english teacher used to do (the tiger had better breath). I hope the cat enjoyed doing it cause it used to scare the shit out of me! No one liked that cat.

The cheetah was also a diabetic…