The 2021 Gardening Thread - what's going on in your yard?

Speaking of counting, I just did the very boy thing of counting the number of common spotted orchids growing on our front lawn. I should say that these are wild plants that just invited themselves over and appeared one year. I counted over 120 spikes, and they look very fine indeed.

Screws up mowing the lawn, mind.

j

My update:
Asparagus - started in mid-May this year. Went strong for a good four weeks. It’s starting to slow down. Maybe another week left.
radishes - most of them were all tops and barely any root this spring! Maybe too much nitrogen in the soil
sugar snap peas - just started flowering a couple days ago.
spinach - in Michigan you pretty much only get one big harvest in the spring. It’s too warm now and bolted about a week ago. I intend to replace the spinach with green beans (Blue Lake bush variety)
wax beans - sowed mid-May, and are about 8-10" high. No blossoms as of yesterday
tomatoes - I’m single stemming a single variety of tomato this year: Mortgage Lifters. They were transplanted mid-May and at 18-24" tall are ready for staking.
lettuce - sowed a variety mix this year. It’s going great guns. Having salads at least 2-3 times a week.
zucchini - sowed in late May. It sprouted slow and the plants are only 3" high as of this morning.
peppers - I bought transplants around Memorial Day. They’re coming along nicely. No blossoms yet.
winter squash - off to a slow start. I don’t think they’re getting enough direct sunlight in the location I chose.
strawberries - planted 20 bare root this spring. Only 14 lived. Lots of crown rot. Wasn’t planning on getting any harvest this year put a couple of plants are starting to produce small berries.

The deer ate the potted pansies and the ends of my potted raspberry bush. Time to either cover them or move them somewhere inaccessible.

Tomatoes are starting, but it will be awhile until anything gets ripe. Ditto with the peppers.

Strawberries are done, I’ve collected a fair amount of blueberries. Probably about another week to go on those and then they’ll be done too.

I’ve got loads of herbs, and I’ve been drying some of them to save for winter.

General guideline: harvest at no more than 6 inches long for zucchini, cukes can be a bit longer.

Morning glories are sprouting along the fence, and by my steps (the fancy striped ones) along with clumps of very small-leafed seedlings for something unfamiliar. Maybe the bachelor buttons?

I saw a clump of sulphur cosmos, too, which should hopefully mean there’s more popping up here & there.

Inspired me to plant some sunflowers (plain black oil, literally out of a birdseed bag - I’ve found these do best, or least worst, in crappy soil, way better than “fancy” sunflowers) plus a precious packet of my favorite cosmos: “Seashells Mix” which features rolled-up flower petals.

One packet of moonflower seeds is soaking at the moment, and will be entrusted to Mother Earth (and the vagaries of unfamiliar-to-me weather patterns, and the previously-mentioned crappy soil) shortly.

question:

I went to the perennial sale this morning and it turned out better than I thought. Her ad said all plants $7, but those were only the massive hostas. Everything else was $2-4 each. I went a little crazy.
Here’s my quandary- I went for variety versus quantity. Instead of buying, say, six geum so three on each side of the stairs, I bought two. The stairs pretty much evenly split the beds. Ideally, I want structured “messy” loose almost cottage gardens.
Would you mirror, so one on each side, but varying the positions or would you co-plant so each side is a mixture of different perennials (but trying to height match across the beds)?

Ooof. Tough call.

Personally, I’d co plant. Individual plants often look so lonely, even in a bed with other plants. A clump of similar groupings just looks “more full” to my eyes.

It’ll all fill in within a few weeks anyway. But that’s my IMHO.

I’m kind of leaning that way. We got back to the kids’ house and I began kicking myself. However, the thought of another 40+ minute drive back to the sale on switchback after switchback and then the 2.5 hour drive home…