The Airbus A380 (the big one), Why do they tease us?

The flights I most enjoy are on little planes (I don’t know the model names) that have a row of single seats on each side, and the person in the last seat across from the door gets to play steward/stewardess and pass out the food and drinks for everyone. You go up, down and around the clouds, and the pilot will drop and circle down if you ask for a closer look at a village or a lake. By comparison, flying on large jets may be a lot faster, but the cramped cattle car conditions make for a truly miserable experience each and every time. A pox on them.

Yet (as noted above) people seem strongly attracted to the misery of getting where they wish to go quickly and cheaply. The option of a more pampered trip is available (e.g. business or first class) but the number of people who will spend their own money for this is limited.

IOW, air travel is cheap, cramped and uncomfortable because this is what the mass of people seem to prefer.

The problem with business and first class is that it’s SO much more expensive. I would like a certain amount of extra comfort. I don’t want the whole business class thing, just a bit more leg room and some kind of service. I’m willing (and do) pay a bit more to get this. This is why I’ll fly Qantas or Air New Zealand in preference over Virgin Blue or Jetstar, and it’s why I’ll fly Skywest (Australia) over Air North.