The Almighty Weighs In On Gibson's "The Passion"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3209223.stm

"Actor Jim Caviezel has been struck by lightning while playing Jesus in Mel Gibson’s controversial film The Passion Of Christ.

It was the second time Michelini had been hit by lightning during the shoot."

Now, I’m not one who believes in Signs (aside from in the “Other Horrible Mel Gibson Movies” sense), but I would imagine the people involved in “The Passion” are.

This can’t be a good sign for them, right?

The real question is whether it is a sign of disapproval of the movie, or disapproval of the casting…

God: “I have no problem with movies about Christ, but Jeez! Cavaziel? Couldn’t they have gotten Hoffman or something?”

Dammit, DeMobray!! You beat me to this thread!

I saw a short bit on this in tonight’s late news, and my first thought was “The guy playing Jesus… got struck by lightning?! That can’t be good!” My wife started laughing and told me to post it on the Straight Dope.

Either she was reading my mind again, or I was thinking out loud again. Damn.

Death or injury by lightning strike could be seen by the superstitious as divine disapproval.

However, being struck by lightning without apparent injury could be seen as divine appointment. The ancient Greeks regarded any spot struck by lightning as sacred. Greek and Roman temples were built on those sites.

Alternatively, being struck by lightning twice without apparent injury could also be seen as fair warning.

“Medammit, Jim, what was it gonna take…?”

Or it could just be, y’know. Shit luck on Jim Cavizel’s part. Not to puncture anybody’s portents.

Heh, heh… you said “Medammit…” Heh.

TWO BOLTS DOWN, SAYETH THE LORD.

I heard this on the news this mornin… I too was thinking this CAN’T be a good thing!

“For as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day.”

Luke 17:24

“For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.”

Matthew 24:27

This is the second time, and he’s still not dead? God’s clearly off his game.

Lightning hit the assistant director twice. Lead actor Jim Caviezel was struck only once, apparently without harm.

The location scout is definitely fired. If he/she put the crew in a place where lightning hits this often, he/she is a dope.

jeez…whatdidtheygo to lighting city or somthin’?

“For as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day.”

Luke 17:24

“For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.”

Matthew 24:27

so jim caviezel is Son Of Man now???

God help us all

Dudes. They’re working on a hilltop. Assuming it’s a real hilltop, and not just a dinky ridge, it’s not an impossibility. Fairly unlikely, yes, but not impossible.

Well, it’s obviously not an impossibility, since it’s actually happened and all.