The American Coup Fallout thread

Indeed.

But as Daniel Goldman notes, there is cause for concern in the fact that the DOJ let Rosen testify before Congress–something they are known for frowning on when the person giving testimony is needed for a criminal case:

The implication being that Garland’s DOJ is NOT pursuing any criminal investigation of the Trump (et al) attempts to subvert the legitimate 11/3 election.

Goldman concedes this “clue” may not provide proof that no investigation is happening–but he does feel concern about it.

Well, Wray is corrupt. He spent four years resisting Trump’s attempts to pressure him into falsely prosecuting Comey, Obama and Hunter Biden - among others. It was easier to do this if he didn’t piss off Trump by noticing and doing something about the crime wave his band of merry grifters were inflicting on Washington, America and the world at large.

The only way he could do that and sleep at night was to convince himself that all the bribery, blackmail and extortion wasn’t that bad. And he still can’t admit it was bad, because then he’d have to face the reality of what he did, and didn’t do, over the past four years.

That’s why he actually tried to deny that there was a clear cut relationship between Trump’s claims of election fraud and the January 6th insurrection.

Here’s where the FBI and DOJ are regarding Trump and his crimes.

It’s OK to tell your cronies that there’s something illegal you’d like to see done, to keep calling them and badgering them about how you’d like to see this illegal thing done, to fire them when the illegal thing isn’t done and immediately start badgering their replacement about how you’d like to see the illegal thing done.
Because ….Trump never ordered anyone to do the illegal thing! How dare you suggest he might be responsible!
But if you actually order your crony to do the illegal thing, including making backwards threats telling them they’ll be arrested if they don’t do the illegal thing and they still don’t do the illegal thing because they can’t, it’s literally something they lack the authority to do, no matter how much they want to……
Then it’s……But the illegal thing wasn’t done! Trump might have told them to do it but they didn’t! How can you blame Trump for something that didn’t happen!

Under the theories subscribed to by the FBI and DOJ, it’s not a crime to conspire to overthrow the government unless you actually succeed! Which I think is a highly dangerous position, but that’s just me, I guess.

I think, if the draft letter Jeffrey Clark sent to Jeffrey Rosen came from the White House, that’s the conspiracy to overthrow the government. A conspiracy doesn’t have to be complex or convoluted. People in the White House conspired with Clark, and possibly other people in the DOJ, to send an official DOJ letter to several state governments falsely telling them that they election was fraudulent and that they had the undisputed right (another lie) to toss out their states election results and submit their own electors.

I think that’s it. That’s all you need. That’s conspiring to overthrow the government, right there.

I’m reading the much quoted book I Alone Can Fix It. I bought it Sunday, because I was bored. I didn’t think it would be revelatory, as I’ve read both of the other recent, similar bestsellers and I follow the news closely.
But it was. It’s not the anecdotes or smoking gun moments, it’s the entire trajectory. What everyone has written off as chaos was the product of multiple plots to overturn the election- serious, if not well-executed, plots. Granted, there was no great overarching conspiracy, just a bunch of different conspiracies and conspirators, many of them really stupid, that kept getting in each other’s way, but there was conspiracy to overthrow the government.
And, according to the narrative of the book, Pence is a true coward - he searched far and wide for a serious legal opinion that would enable him to do what Trump wanted and was really disappointed that no one could find one.

Sounds as though I do need to get ahold of that book. Budget being currently tight, I was holding off, looking at those three most recently-released works (Bender’s “Frankly We Did Win This Election” and Wolfe’s “Landslide” being the other two).

Pence being a coward who would have been perfectly fine with subverting democracy, had he been able to find a legal pretext for doing so: color me un-shocked.

As someone that ‘s read all three, if you only want one, get I Alone Can Fix It. It’s the best, no contest. If you’ve already read one or both of the others, get in anyway.

Like I said, I bought it because I was bored. I’d read the other two (just because they were released first) and I’m an arduous follower of the news, so I didn’t think it would add much to my understanding. I was wrong.

No real smoking guns, but they did lots of interviews and wove them up very well. One little tidbit (although it may have been mentioned elsewhere and I missed it) was about Romney. Many of us saw the footage of him leaving the Senate chamber and being turned around by Capitol police. The reason he was leaving, ahead of everyone else, was that he was very attuned to the possibility of violence and he had a planned hideout (in one of the offices I think.) He realized violence was going down and he left the Senate floor before the session broke and was heading to his hideout when Goodman turned him around.

And Pence is really a spineless toady, nothing to respect there. And when Trump was in the White House cheering the insurrection, he did ask if Pence was OK - but he seemed disappointed when the answer was yes.

I’ll probably buy and read Vindman’s book next, in large part for the same reason I bought Andrew McCabe’s book. I think they were both royally screwed and I want to help by buying their book and reading their stories.

Wow; I hadn’t heard that.

Good advice on the Vindman book, too—yes, he fully deserves any support he gets.

Saw good PBS i-view couple weeks ago of the I Alone Can Fix It’s authors.

Insurrectionist says he should get a light sentence because he’s a registered Democrat and doesn’t support Individual 1. This despite video of him wearing a MAGA hat and shouting, “Fight for Trump”

So he is playing the it was the antifa dressed up as Trump supporter card? And by the way it was me defense. He should get the max sentence just for saying this crap.

“Bailiff, whack his pee-pee.”

The county clerk of Mesa County, Colorado - an ex-stewardess and QANON advocate who spoke at Lindell’s Cyber Crazypoolza last week - pulled some shenanigans that resulted in their Dominion voting equipment being decertified.

She apparently, as part of her job, has access to confidential information from Dominion, such as manuals and configuration instructions for the machines. She copied it and gave it to Q. Literally. It was posted by Ron Watkins, who, with his father Jim, are widely suspected of being Q of QANON.

She also allowed one of her QANON cronies into a highly secure closed meeting where Dominion updated the voting systems software. Apparently she allowed this person to pose as an employee and represented that they had passed a security check. They made recordings, which they also gave to Q.
Peters, as part of the same scheme, disabled the security cameras monitoring the machines for several days. The incident is currently being investigated by the Colorado Secretary of State.

The former stewardess, who was elected after her predecessor was term limited - is apparently some sort of one woman election-fuckup dumpster fire. After she was elected, 24 of her 32 employees quit. The primary election was a total clusterfuck, for days afterwards people were finding ballots blowing around in the parking lot of the election office. Oh, and she forgot to have anyone empty the ballot drop box right outside of the election office, causing almost 600 ballots to be disregarded, bringing about an unsuccessful effort to recall her.

She had a gish gallop of excuses, but they all ended with her being persecuted for being conservative. Hopefully she will be arrested.

IANAL, but it looks like it’s perilously close to a potential violation of federal computer fraud and abuse statutes.

It’s amazing that anyone can get elected to office. I’m not surprised that 3/4 of the office quit. But I’ve seen it first hand.

Sounds like a candidate for trumpy’s 2024 campaign manager. Or maybe Secretary of State when he resumes the throne. :toilet: No, not that one.

Mistress of the privy!

I mean, she was privy to a lot of confidential information…

Ba-dum-CHEEE!

What do you know, it turns out Liddel’s symposium did expose some serious election malfeasance Just not on the side they thought.

A guy involved in the attack at the Capitol assaulted a reporter at an anti-vax protest in Los Angeles over the weekend.

I’ll never be able to understand what is broken in these people. And I did notice that a lot of mask protesters where wearing some sort of face covering. I can only assume to try to protect their identity.

This dude needs to be locked up pending trial with no bail whatsoever.

Capitol insurrectionist Douglas Jensen was released on probation over the prosecution’s objections. The probation rules required that he nor use devices with internet access, including cell phones. He was caught not only using the internet, but watching My Pillow guy’s three day blabathon about how he could prove the election was stolen.