The Antikythera Mechanism Gives Up A Few More Secrets

Thanks to some custom built gear.

I wonder what the new characters are?

Hmmmph. Stupid mechanism. What does it think it is, anyways? :mad:

The opposite of you, perrhaps?

Gee. I wish I had an arch-enemy…

Wake me up when they find out it does something cool, like play Tekken. :slight_smile:

I spent a good chunk of the evening fiddling with a clockwork mechanism, making a few parts and sorting gear ratios out. That a thing like that could be built over 2 millenia ago is simply amazing, I mean, what kind of tools did they use? who was the genius behind this? was it a loner or there was a society that could churn out mechanisms like this on a regular basis?; and if there was, what happened to it?

Because he reportedly worked making geared planetariums, Archimedes was the most likely genius behind machines like the Antikyteria Machine.

http://www.math.nyu.edu/~crorres/Archimedes/Sphere/SphereIntro.html
And yes, he was a Geek, I mean, Greek loner:
http://www.math.nyu.edu/~crorres/Archimedes/Sphere/SphereIntro.html

What would happen if you touched it?

The most amazing thing about that mechanism is that it uses at least one differential, a mechanism that previously was thought to have been invented over 1500 years later.

Dammit! I wanted to be the first to make that joke. :slight_smile:

Then there´s the posibility that this is actual archimedean junk? For all we know maybe the guy himself built it.
It´s a truly fascinating artifact.

I’m afraid not. The device is dated to ~80BC, with as I understand it a high degree of confidence. Archimedes had been dead for over a century.

“Thinks, Speaks, Acts, and Does Everything but Live. All infringements will be promptly Prosecuted according to Law.”?

“Void where prohibited, some assembly required, batteries not included. Not valid in Crete or Minoa.”

“Made In China”

I am a bit skeptical about this machine-how would an ancient Greek smith have made accurate gears without machine tools? The gears might have been hammered brass-how would a smith have been able to make sheets of brass of uniform thickness? And how would he have cut gear teeth accurately? As far as I know, the ancient Greeks didn’t have metal cutting lathes. Finally, how would a frame (containing the gear pinions) be made? To make something this accurate, you would need a lot of tools that didn’t exist back then. So whoever this genius was, he had access to some modern tools!

A good metalsmith can work wonders with simple hand tools. The Hitler Channel had a program on the Antikythera mechanism where an expert built a replica of it using only the kind of hand tools available to Greeks at the time.

The next time you see a Rolls (at least a pre-2000 year model), take a look at the body panels on the car. All of them are handhammered, no massive presses used at all.

Without meaning any disrespect here, the fact that how something was done isn’t known does not constitute proof that it couldn’t have been done.

I don’t know how they did it, either; but they seem to have done so anyway.

:eek: What were they thinking when they named that network.

They made clocks and watches long before they had modern equipment. I’ve heard that an English monk made one of the first clocks arond 1350, but I’m not certain of the exact date.