The Babylon Bee

[deep curtsey]

I am deeply shocked and disappointed that evangelicals don’t have a functioning sense of humor.

The Onion misfires a fair percentage of the time, but the Babylon Bee is beyond desperate.

Truly, it’s as if Mallard Fillmore decided to branch out into satire.

I think of them more like when a six-year-old has just told me a knock-knock joke, and the only appropriate response is “Oh, aren’t you adorable.”

It depends what “misfires” means, but honestly, to my eyes The Onion hardly EVER misfires. Not every joke is all that funny, but almost none just totally miss the mark, and all are very well written; they put a lot of QC into their work.

Look at their page right now. Where is there a really bad misfire? Not all these jokes are hilarious, but all are flawlessly written in “modern newspaper” style (a style that the pretenders - Babylon Bee, The Beaverton, whatever - just never get right.

Yeah, the Bee is some weird cargo cult facsimile of the Onion.

It stumbles across humor the way some of my alcoholic cousins occasionally stumbled across sobriety.

Somebody in IMHO a few months ago posted a “satire blog” article where it was about removing Confederate statues but it was from the perspective of the Star Wars New Republic having statues to Darth Vader during the sequel trilogy, and holy shit it was literally the worst piece of satire I ever read. It just keep repeating the same exact point over and over again but neither in a funny nor well-written way.

They are by far the funniest* thing to come out of the American conservative movement in recent years. Though that’s not saying very much. There have been a couple of articles that I’ve read that were actually fairly amusing.

• Intentionally funny that is

But it’s always the idiot conservatives that are taken in by satirical articles.

I remember when some idiot conservative relative condescendingly informing me that a story wasn’t real and chastising me for spreading “fake news” after viewing a Facebook post. This was the story:

I follow Snopes on FB, and stupid people post satire and lame conservative excuses for satire all the time, sometimes asking “is this real?”, or sometimes they are conservatives wetting themselves because they think their brilliant internet “research” has single-handedly found the smoking gun that’s going to bring down the Democrat pedophile cabal and save America. And they don’t like hearing they’re wrong.

I always thought it was poking fun at the stuffy religious. Maybe it’s better satire than you thought?

Another site you might like better. Coffee With Jesus.

[quote=“Ranch_Dip, post:49, topic:839152”]
Another site you might like better. [Coffee With Jesus.http s://coffeewithjesus.com/

FYI - Firefox is telling me that site is a potential security risk.

Go to it as http not https; I’m guessing that it’s not properly set up for a secure HTTP connection so Firefox is giving you due warning when you connect that way.

When elminating the “s”, still getting a “not secure” message, but only in the URL bar now. (heh - progress?)

Chrome

I remember when Cracked first started to change and everyone complained because women were allowed to write articles and the SJWs were taking over and from my vantage point all of this concern was overblown. It was nice not having to read misogynist jokes any more.

But then, like… The SJWs took over. And it stopped being funny and started being preachy. Effective comedy, even political comedy, puts comedy first.

And I enjoyed a lot of the comments on the media threads because they usually added so much context and additional information to the articles. I’m sorry to hear that all went to shit.

The actual content on Babylon Bee I don’t have a problem with, its generally pretty poor comedy but whatever even bad comedy writers have bills to pay (and even their generally mediocre output still makes them the Monty Python of the right wing comedic world).

Their beef with Snopes and such, on the other hand is BS, and clearly meant to discredit factcheckers (and hence encourage disinformation). The whole “OMG those liberals at Snopes hate us and can’t take a joke” narrative they spread is dishonest . Case in point this just came up on my social media as an example of “dumb libs not getting a joke”:

But its really not, and as the people who run Babylon Bee are I’m sure aware. This was a Babylon Bee article clearly being forwarded as real, and I have real trouble believing it was not the intention of the authors, when they made that (really not very funny) fake CNN screenshot, that it would be passed off as real (by dumb people, sure, but I’m sure they’re aware of the level of sophistication of their readership). Regardless of that, it was forwarded as real by someone, so it is completely reasonable for a factchecker to fact check it. When Babylon Bee and their defenders complain about it they are just dishonestly maligning factcheckers. Clearly with the underlying intention here to try and undermine factcheckers then and make it harder for them to debunk right wing disinformation IMO.

I wonder how long it’ll take before they print “Biden stole the election” as a piece of “satire” just to keep it out there and so they can attack the fact-checkers when they get called on it.

It does a fine job of poking fun at the sillier things Christians and churches do. As somebody who played bass on a church worship team for 22 years, I find their articles about church bass players (and worship teams in general) to be hilariously spot-on. I recall one story about God appearing and interrupting a worship leader mid-song to let him know that He heard the bridge the first 87 times he sang it.

[quote=“Folacin, post:50, topic:839152, full:true”]

Me, too, on April 16

Dan

The moment Cracked turned for me (besides firing all their staff writers in favor of freelancers, and also cannibalizing old articles for content) was they had some extra long article about how “Conservatives Cannot Be Comedians” and their “proof” was basically

1. Conservatives Brains aren’t suited to making jokes
  2. Christian Comedy isn’t funny
  3. Stephen Crowder isn’t funny
  4. That one time Fox News tried to do a Daily Show style show it was quickly cancelled.

For me it was when they decided that most of their content would be about Marvel movies… but that wasn’t a great article either.

Producing a lot of quality comedy content is just really hard. Truth be told, it’s kind of a miracle if ANY site can do it for a long period of time.

The specific reason Babylon Bee isn’t funny, though, is that being funny isn’t their primary goal. Their primary goal is pushing conservatism. The people at the Onion read the news and whatnot and get into writers’ meetings and brainstorm jokes. The people at the Bee read the news and whatnot and get into wrtiers’ meeting and brainstorm which stories can be turned into conservative points, and THEN write jokes to facilitate that.

The Babylon Bee is satire, clearly satire.
It can be bad sattire and cringy at times, but it is sattire. If you are taking it serioulsy (like Snope making a fool of themselves) that’s another thing. They also open about their bias and don’t even try to hide it.