The Ballad of Davy Crockett

My husband and son recently checked out the old Walt Disney “Davy Crockett” series (before Fess Parker became Daniel Boone) and have been watching them.

Tonight my son asked me to google the words to “The Ballad of Davy Crockett,” which, I learned, has LOTS of verses.

However, my son says that the version used in the series included a verse about a keel boat. (I think one of the programs in the series had to do with a keel boat race.)

None of the versions I found online included that verse. Does anyone know the words to it???

(BTW, when my son heard the ballad the first time, he thought the words were “went to a bar when he was only three,” instead of “killed him a b’ar when he was only three.” :slight_smile: )

Davy had a keelboat race with a boatman named Mike Fink. It’s undoubtedly from that one.

There is a discussion here in which the lyrics are quoted as:

The bits in brackets are somewhat unintelligible.

It is from the episode “Davy Crockett’s Keelboat Race.” As the discussion on the link mentions, this is not part of the ballad itself, but a song sung during the episode to the tune of the ballad.

There was another episode concerning Mike Fink, “Davy Crockett and the River Pireates.”

Yes, indeed, that’s the tall tale to which the verse refers.

But I need lyrics, man! Give my lyrics!

I just did. :dubious:

Apologies, Colibri! For whatever reason, when I checked this thread last night, the only post that appeared was the one from you that referenced the plot, not the one with the lyrics. No wonder you were scratching your head!

(And no wonder I was thinking, “Uh…does this guy who seems so knowledgeable in his other posts not understand the definition of ‘lyrics’?” :smack: )

There’s also:

“Girls run and hide and brave men quiver
He’s Mike Fink, King of the River.”