The Banner Saga

Anyone tried it out? For those of you that haven’t heard about it it’s a mix between orgeon trail, choose your own adventure and a tactical rpg set in a pseudo-viking fantasy world.

I was a bit on the fence, but tried it out and have been playing it for a week now. Gone through it three times on normal, and I’m gonna start up a new one on hard soon.

I wish it was a bit deeper tactics-wise, but still really fun. The setting is quite interesting, there’s a lot of good music and visually it’s gorgeous.

That’s the main reason why I haven’t looked at it. If I’m playing a game with tactical combat, I want it to be… tactical. You aren’t the first person I’ve heard say the combat isn’t particularly deep.

Well, yeah. It is tactical though, just not as deep as I’d like. For example, I’d wish for there to be more to “war” than fighting one or two fights with your characters and then get a tally on how many troops died. Still, you have quite a few abilities that play differently with eachother, items, and positioning, to keep it somewhat diverse.

Anyway, I’d say it’s worth a buy on discount if only for the visuals, story and music tbh.

I tried it for a bit. I loved the art style, and the basic concept, but found the combat to simple. All battles are on a flat, featureless grid, with the only tactical variation being start positions. It got dull pretty fast.

I was much more impressed with Blackguards, the German tactical RPG that came out a month or two ago. Gorgeous battlefields with tons of different terrain, interactive objects, and varied objectives.