The Beatles Are The Best. Yes or No ?

So a couple of weeks ago, I saw the Cirque de Soliel Beatles Love show at the Mirage in Vegas and I was simply blown away.

I’ve always thought the Beatles were the best, but I soon realized that their greatness was only limited by my imagination.

So tell me, how many of you regard the Beatles as the best musical entity the world has ever produced with regard to originality, innovation , melody, broadness of style* and downright enjoyability.

• the proper word escapes me

Yes. Next question?

No, but I’d put them in the top ten.

I personally can’t stand listening to their music.

They may be completely innovative or whatever, but their voices grate on me.

Give me Brian Wilson any day.

No, the best is Pink Floyd, sorry. Or maybe Jethro Tull. I never can decide. The Beatles are good, but I couldn’t, for example, listen to a whole Beatles album all in one sitting.

“Ever” is a big word. I’d put a few classical composers before the Beatles . . . or don’t they qualify as “musical entities”?

Of course they do.

I would say they are the best, but not my favorite.

No, and I don’t see what the big deal is all about.

Well, compared to Mozart, no. But for pop and rock music purposes, YES!

I voted yes. I also enjoy Beethoven, The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones a great deal. But The Beatles, aside from the few blues bits they did, were always an infectious smile. Have you seen Polythene Pam?

Best musical entity of the modern era. I’d have a hard time claiming they were better than Bach or Mozart.

God no. They may have been necessary for many better bands to come about, but their music sounds hopelessly dated and grating. And just because Lennon is a Scouser capable of abstract thought doesn’t make him a great philosopher.

Well how many other bands can manage this Rolling Stone The Beatles 100 Greatest Songs and still have people complaining that songs had been missed. Few bands deserve a Best of…

In the rock world, yes. But they have competition in the classical world.

Yes. No question in the pop/rock world.

Just another thing the babyboomers cram down our throats that we’re supposed to like.

they were popular.

i don’t think they were as good as other groups that were contemporary.

Moving from IMHO to Cafe Society.

I’m not a baby boomer nor am I a fetishist for the kind of upbeat rock The Beatles put out (my favorite bands include Radiohead, Arcade Fire, The National and The Flaming Lips).

But, if we’re talking about the rock era, then it’s a strong, unqualified “yes” from me. Other bands and artists have made songs as good as some of The Beatles’ best work, but the Fab Four put out iconic songs over and over and over again, so often that it’s amazing they were really only a presence for 6 or 7 years.