The best mini series in TV history?

Quatermass and the Pit

For me, there is no question: Band of Brothers.

I thought Taken was excellent.

Lonesome Dove is my all time favorite!

I, Claudius
From the Earth to the Moon
Jesus of Nazareth
V (sorry)

Another vote for I Claudius. Excellent viewing.

TEN POINT FIVE!!!111

Hey, when was that? I vaguely remember watching it (and covering my eyes during some parts) and I’m sure I was pretty young at the time, but I’d like to know how young.

Roots.

I’d vote for Roots, Holocaust, I, Claudius, Band of Brothers, From Earth to the Moon, Jesus of Nazareth, and while I’ve enjoyed others, they’ve just not had the impact of the others.

I’m going to second Lonesome Dove and throw in The Thornbirds. Now, I’m not saying it was as great as the examples already listed, but in my rather informal polling, I found that the The Thornbirds has done more to shape and form kinks in girls of my generation than any other film.

Or maybe me and my friends are just special. I’d prefer to think it wasn’t just us…

Winds of War and War and Rememberance, I tells ya. There’s nothing like having a fictional character created in 1971 casually meeting with FDR and Churchill and telling them how to win the war.

Honestly, I wouldn’t call Band of Brothers or From the Earth to the Moon mini-series.

Secret of the Sahara

It’s nicely filmed with some really nice imagery. It’s reminiscent of Indiana Jones for TV, but has much better values than most TV productions. And it has an excellent soundtrack by Ennio Morricone.

OK, so the end is a let-down, but the rest is highly watchable and makes for unusual television.

I was going to say I, Cladius, but since that’s already been mentioned, I will add Brideshead Revisited.

Another I CLAVDIVS here.
Seriously, it’s one of the greatest miniseries ever put on television.

V (1983)

V - The Final Battle (1984)

No question for me –

Jewel in the Crown

Brideshead Revisited

– the best adaptations of novels I have ever seen.

Upstairs, Downstairs, by a landslide.

Lonesome Dove–no doubt about it. It captures the spirit of McMurtry’s books and was also filmed beautifully. Plus, the characters are so well-done that they looked almost exactly as I had imagined them while reading the book.

To Serve Them All My Days old, cheap, truly a miniseries and one of the few I have sat through without thinking it too long. Maybe I could count some of the infrequent Helen Mirren Prime Suspect shows, where a single story was told over several episodes.