The best Pizzas?

I’m pretty open-minded about food, and I’ve nothing against nonstandard pizza toppings, but I agree with FoisGrasIsEvil: Potatoes on pizza would just be way too starchy.

All the best pizzas I’ve had were from Greek restaurants (or “italian” restaurants run by Greeks).
I like a good flavorful crust, spicy (NOT SWEET) sauce, and a not-too-thick layer of cheese, mostly mozzarella.
I think most of the places I’m talking about also put some olive oil on the crust under the sauce, to keep the sauce from soaking in. I’m not sure about that, but I can taste olive just a bit.
Bake it in a brick oven for best results.

Regardless of the size and shape: Potatoes on pizza? :dubious:

Is your question whether it exists, whether it is good, or something else entirely?

I have a hard time finding a bad pizza too. I’d say, the lowest it goes: a frozen Totino’s Party Pizza* can still be reasonably salvaged with some red pepper flakes, basil, and some other herbs.

Some of my favorites in no particular order:
Rocky Rococo’s: A small chain from Wisconsin which has thick pan crust that is sweet and tasty. The sauce is average but the huge chunks of sausage are flecked with fennel and other wonderful seasonings.

The Crescent Moon Bakery (a couple blocks from our house) and the crust is football shaped and they use middle-eastern bread for it. Yummmmmy.

Black Sheep Pizza. Coal fired cracker-crisp crust and has just a wonderfully unique smokiness.
Frankly, I like to try a joint’s cheese pizza. If they’ve got the basics down, everything else is going to be amazing.
*Are those nationwide?

I guess I question the idea that you can put potatoes on it and still call it pizza.

My theory on pizza. A pizza generally has 4 components.

Crust.
Sauce.
Toppings other than cheese.
Cheese.

Each of those also has what would be considered normal/classical. IMO 3 out of the 4 have to be somewhat normal/classical. The crust can be odd or the sauce can be odd or toppings can be odd or the cheese can be odd. IMO you could possibly leave out a sauce or toppings or cheese (I think some sort of crust is required ) and still be a pizza. Or maybe even TWO of these things can be odd.

But the OP’s pizza has weird toppings AND no sauce, which is even worse than two odd things. To me that just crosses the line right there. Yeah, it might be great but it ain’t no pizza (unless you put iceberg lettuce on it).

Or in other words…try my new meatloaf pizza. It looks and tastes just like a normal meatloaf but I call it a pizza :slight_smile:

I’ll accept leaving off the sauce. A good white pizza can be very tasty.

Pizza or not?
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57412379-10391704/pizza-hut-unveils-hot-dog-stuffed-crust-pizza-burger-king-offers-bacon-sundae
Anything where the phrase “mustard drizzle” is involved is not a pizza.

Seriously?

Many of the place in DC that serve authentic Neopolitan style woodfired pizza make pizza genovese, the main ingredient of which is potato.

I’m in the minority perhaps, but give me a thick, heavy Chicago stuffed pizza over over some greasy NY slice any day. Not that’s I’d turn down the New York pizza if that’s all you got.

Sadly, you can’t get Chicago-style pizza around here except by mail order. Lately we’ve been fixated on Papa Murphy’s pizza, which you pick up uncooked and then cook yourself in your oven at home. Their Mediterranean Chicken pizza is amazing.

I’m a huge fan of their pizza and had it often growing up in Milwaukee. They seemed to have shut down a lot of their locations though. I’m lucky enough to live withing a mile of their last remaining Minnesota location.

Papa Murphy’s is indeed awesome. I don’t like much sauce on pizza, but theirs is quite tasty, so I go with their standard amount. As mentioned, their pizza is “take-and-bake”. They make a point of the freshness of their ingredients; they note on their signs, “We don’t even have freezers in our stores!”

Adding to billfish678’s list, if you’re cooking pizza at home: herbs. Too many people neglect herbs. Basil and oregano, at minimum. You can cheat if you want and get an “Italian blend” or “Pizza blend”. Put some, not too much, on the sauce before you put anything else on; if you put them on last, they’ll burn, but they’ll be insulated if you put them under the cheese.

These three places make some of the best pizza on Earth:

1. Ledo’s in Adelphi, MD (I think they moved recently). My favorite since I was a kid.
  2. Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix (rated “best pizza” in the US(!)).
  3. Cafe Pino in Scottsdale - best crust on any pizza I’ve ever had.

Potato pizza is actually fairly standard in Italy. Nothing weird about it. Yes, it’s carb overload, but, dammit if it’s not good. Just potatoes, rosemary, and onions. No sauce. And usually no cheese. Fantastic stuff, but not what we in America necessarily think of as “pizza.”

I love all kinds of pizza. My favorite styles tend to be the wood-fired Neapolitan types of pizza, or the coal-fired pizza of classic New York joints like Grimaldi’s.

My absolute favorite pizza is from Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, Arizona. Yes. Phoenix, Arizona. (And I see the post above me has mentioned it.) For me, pizza is NOT about the sauce. It’s about the bread and the ingredients topping it. Pizzeria Bianco has a lightly sourdough crust, thin, baked quickly in a woodfire oven (like a Neapolitan pizza.) Very flavorful, with wonderful charring and a slightly smoky taste from the wood-fired oven. While they have a number of different pizzas, my favorite is their margherita: tomato, housemade mozzarella, and fresh basil. It really doesn’t get any better than this.

Though I’m a Chicagoan, I always grew up with thin crust. (And I’d argue most Chicagoans eat and think of thin crust when they think of pizza, despite the deep dish style that is connected to our name. I grew up in the city limits and did not have my first deep dish or stuffed pizza until I was a teenager.) Thicker styles of pizza are generally not my bag, but I’ve grown to love them. Around here, it’s Pequod’s or Burt’s for deep dish/pan (their style of pizza is on the cusp.) I’ve discovered Buddy’s in Detroit, which I love despite it also being a thicker style of pizza.

In the Midwest, I love our style of thin crust. Tends to have a crispy crust with a well-spiced pizza sauce (usually dominant with oregano, and often a bit of sugar, not my favorite addition). Milwaukee has Zaffiro’s and Marie’s. My Chicago favorites are Vito and Nicks and Villa Nova (in Stickney.)

I can’t wait to get a chance to go out to New Haven, CT, and try all the famous pizzas from out there–that’s on my bucket list. Want to try the plain pizzas as well as the white clam pies.

I’ve given up on pizza parochialism. While I don’t believe the adage that there’s no such thing as bad pizza (there’s plenty of godawful pizza out there), each style has something to offer.

Agreed. Deep dish is a wonderful style for what it is but you don’t order it to eat in front of a Friday night DVD. Give me a nice Chicago thin crust style nine times out of ten.

Pizza is like sex. When it’s good, it’s really good. And when it’s bad, it’s still pretty good!

And I agree with pulykamell; I think most of us Chicagoans like a nice crispy thin crust (cut in squares for me, please) as our everyday staple. The deep dish or stuffed ones are great, but I think of those as “special occasion” pizzas suitable primarily for fancy dinners out with friends.

Edit: **Jophiel **beat me to it!

My favorite so far was the Cuban pizza at Pies and Pints in Fayetteville W.Virginia.

See, I guess that’s the sticking point for me. There just a lot of pizza I’d rather not eat, just like there’s a lot of people I’d rather not have sex with.

If you go to Walmart you can find both in vast amounts :slight_smile: