The Bible and the Trinity: What did Jesus have to say about the Trinity?

Apparently it is. You are unable to engage with anyone on the subject.

As though JWs don’t consider Jesus’ words worthy of special consideration because they are not Trinitarians. :dubious::

Posts that reply specifically to issues raised in the OP, debunk the claim made in the OP, and provide information requested in the OP are clearly “shrill” and “of topic”.

:rolleyes:

tomndebb, I’m not making an implicit case that a person shouldn’t be a Trinitarian because the source of the Doctrine is largely non-biblical.

We’ve talked in the past and it’s seems your view is that (iirc) that the Bible is but one source from which a person can be a Christian, or Trinitarian.

It seems to me that taking a position that the bible should be the only authority would indeed be witnessing. It’s not my business on a MB to tell you where you should get your religion.

I can tell you it’s not in the bible, however.

“I and the Father are one.”

– John 10:30

Similarly

"Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

Thank you, BrainGlutton

Once again, I would ask, does a belief in the Trinity precede these texts, or does it proceed from these texts?

Here is those verses from 25-38:

If you and I were “of like mind”, or [like parents often say] “speaking in one voice”----or the many similar things that people say that show unity of purpose and a strong bond-----would you infer we were Siamese twins?

Of course not.

Take a look at **John 17:20-21 **which uses very similar language:

In the verses that precede John 10:30 Jesus shows that things were given to him, clearly indicating he was God’s Son, not God. Challenged by the Jews, he clarifies that he’s calling himself the Son of God. He is highlighting in these exchanges the close bond and unshakeable, close unity of purpose he shared with his Father.

That’s underscored in John 17:20-21 where he uses almost the exact same language to show the unity of purpose and close bond he has with God, but with the humans also.

How is it possible that **John 10:30 **is an argument for the Trinity, where the exact same language at John 17:20-21 is not?

Am I the only one who sees no contradiction at all in the “let this cup pass” speech? Jesus would prefer not to die, but he’s still willing to die. What’s so odd about that? There are plenty of things I’m willing to do but would prefer not to. I would prefer to get all of my material possessions for free, but I’m willing to pay for them. I would prefer to live in a mansion, but I’m willing to live in an apartment. So?

No, you’re not. Jesus knew that what he was about to face would be excruciating (literally), and he didn’t want to undergo it, but he was willing to.

There is no contradiction in the example you gave.

The dichotomy is that he shows the potential for a will different than his father (without regard to his ultimate behavior), and the capacity to do as he wished, even it is was contrary to his father.

The exchange clearly demonstrates 2 different people; one under duress, appealing to the other for strength and guidance.

A few verses later…

How is that one verse is an argument for the Trinity, and one is not?

And why is the Holy Spirit----the Shemp of this trio-------most always not mentioned?

raindog: Your honor, I object!
tomndebb: Why?
raindog: Because it’s devastating to my case!
tomndebb: Overruled.
raindog: Good call!

So, one should not get their religious views solely from the bible? hmmmm

That’s the human part of Jesus speaking. Think of Spock.

I was raised Catholic and so I’m really familiar with this statement. (and I certainly mean no disrespect)

But that notion isn’t supported anywhere in the bible!

If there’s interest, I’m willing to start a companion thread that focuses on the NT, aside from the words of Jesus.

If you can show me anything Jesus said that supports this I’d love to see it.

You realize of course - that no one can show you anything Jesus said, right?

All we have is second/third/fourth hand reports of what he said - written down decades after the fact - and even then, those are things “attributed” to Jesus. There are no works that are strictly “JESUS WROTE THIS”.

Secondly - if “The Word” was Jesus (a god or God, your choice) - and he directed the book to be written - then ALL of it is his words.

You continue to want to narrow the conversation to avoid debate by very carefully picking what you are fighting “Jesus didn’t say Trinity” “Paul Didn’t say Trinity” - well - you can have that- doesn’t mean ( as was already pointed out) that the scriptures on whole don’t make the case.

Worst off - what you are trying to do is prove that your narrow sect is the only one that gets this part ‘right’ - which is - witnessing - not debating - and its not discussing it either.

OK, am I the only one that doesn’t understand what sect the OP belongs to?

He is a member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses (said so earlier in the thread and elsewhere on the boards) - and apparently decided to take on the cause that ruben4ruben failed to do here- including making it a 4 part ‘series’ and attempting to limit the discussion to only the very narrow/specific point which the OP wants to talk about.

If its a coincidence that he is not taking up that other poster’s cause - then it must be a new attempt a ministry technique by them (but doubtful).

I’m guessing Jehovah’s Witness, since they’re probably the largest sect which denies the divinity of Jesus.

Could someone explain why the trinity/not trinity is so important? What has the non-trinity side have to gain by winning this argument?

In the case of the JW - its a ‘proof’ that they are the only ‘true’ christian group. As raindog has already aluded to - all of “christendom” has fallen for this ‘pagan’ belief thts not supported by “the bible” - of course - this sect’s version of the bible varies from more scholarly translations in key scriptures that make these ‘trinitarian’ concepts more obvious.

Much like the cross and other ‘odd’ or ‘non-mainstream’ beliefs the sect holds.

(not germain to this OP of this thread, tho).

Thanks, simster.

That’s a puzzling question.

Why would you think this any more or less important than any other topic discussed in GD?