The Biden Administration - the first 1,500 days [NOT an Afghanistan discussion]

It seems some posters missed this Modnote.

MODNOTE: No more on Afghanistan, this is official. Start a new thread if you like. See Modnote above.

Two current Afghanistan Threads:

Sorry. I forgot where I was.

Ugh ugh ugh.

It’s odd how that plays out.

Republican obstructionism always gets blamed on Democrats.

This is the same thing, we’d be in the mopping up phase of COVID were it not for the Republicans who are siding with the virus.

In a rational world, you would think that this news would be bad for the politicians who refuse mask and vaccine mandates, who encourage the spread and mutation of the virus.

But somehow, this gets blamed on those who are actually addressing the problem, and working to resolve it.

That’s why the red state governors want dead bodies. They think it’ll blow up on Biden. Maybe they’re right.

Only if the COVID dead can vote.

The beyond-all-superlatives Lisa Desjardins of PBS gives an excellent breakdown of the latest with the infrastructure bill(s), where Pelosi heeded a group of ten moderates today who stalled the $3.5 trillion bill in order to-de-couple it from the other infrastructure bill.
LD also runs through Congress’s very busy Sept. calendar, and has a good talk with Kurt Shrader (D. Or.), one of those ten moderates.

I don’t think the $3.5 trillion deal has a snowball’s chance in hell of passing in the Senate, but I think it’s important to put it out there nevertheless. It puts Republicans in the position of actually voting down economic stimulus at a time when the economic outlook is still very uncertain.

Summary

Why? Please explain. How can there be a discussion of the Biden administration without talking about this week’s tragic events of Afghanistan??? AFG has worldwide implications and we (the US) are a world leader. I came here to see how this discussion is going about it and what Dopers think about Biden’s actions and responses, and the topic is shut down? Without explanation?

And the thread was even closed for some time on 15 August?

From the OP back on 08 November, @ThelmaLou is clear about what should be discussed here:

Here are screenshots of @What_Exit’s statements. The first is appropriate mod action (although partly misplaced), but not any of the others. The last one shows the thread closure;

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Discussing the Biden administration without discussing Afghanistan goes against the OP.

If permitted it would be a heavily skewed discussion.

Please explain, @What_Exit.

Summary

The US had been in Vietnam from 11/1/1955 to 4/30/1975, a span of 19 years, 5 months, 4 weeks and 1 day.

The US had been in Afghanistan from 10/7/2001 to 8/15/2021, a span of 19 years, 10 months, 1 week and 1 day. This is the longest war in US history.

We should be able to discuss this in a Biden administration thread. Otherwise it would be like an LBJ thread without Vietnam, which by any reasonable measure borders on ridiculous.

This topic was automatically opened after 8 minutes.

Moderating

This isn’t just minor grumbling about moderation in-thread, this is full fledged debate in the wrong place.

This is an official warning for disregarding mod instruction and arguing in thread. If you want to discuss that (or this) moderation, please take it to ATMB.

Done. I seek input from the OP there also.

Thank you.

Well, I’m sure a million or so people getting thrown out onto the street ought to help Democrats keep control of congress in 2022.

And though it is the fault of the Republicans, the Democrats will be the ones blamed.

Pretty much, which is why I’m increasingly certain that we’re going to end up with illiberal democracy within the next 10 years and probably within the next 5.

It’s the same with the pandemic: it’s the idiots - largely anti-science right wing - that are causing the spike in covid cases and yet Biden’s supposed to have some fucking magic wand to just make it all go away.

The problem with America, is the Americans. It’s the voters, and the non-voters. The intelligent ones are outnumbered by the apathetic, the conspiracy theorists, and the morons. When a democratic society loses the ability to understand how their own government functions, and whom they should hold accountable, that democratic society is doomed. I don’t see a fix, unfortunately.