The Big Bang Theory, Season 11, Episode 23 (May 3, 2018) -- "The Sibling Realignment"

I do. He made my life hell and nobody gave a damn.

I’m very sorry to hear that, but I don’t think that’s the case between George & Sheldon.

Nobody gave a damn in exactly the way the show portrayed it last night. If something bad happened to my brother, our mother would work to put it right. If something bad happened to me (especially if my brother did it), it got handwaved away.

“What do you want me to do about it?”
“Aren’t you old enough to work this out yourselves?”
“He’s just doing that because he knows it bothers you.”

That last one always confused me. I still don’t know why that made it okay.

I was sitting around with some acquaintances a few years ago. One of them was about to become a father for the first time, and asked for any parenting tips. A woman who was with us said that it doesn’t matter what you tell children, they will learn to do what you do. I thought that was fascinating, and revealed a lot. When your child is being bullied, do you leave him alone “so he’ll learn to stand up for himself”; or do you protect him, to teach him that he’s worth protecting?

Don’t get me wrong; Sheldon can be utterly self-centered and insufferable. But it’s an intellectual self-centeredness. Sheldon doesn’t understand other people’s feelings, but he doesn’t seem to understand his own, either. Maybe that’s because nobody ever treated him like he had any.

Obviously your opinions on Sheldon vs George are colored by your experiences with your own brother. From what we’ve seen on Young Sheldon, George was not cruel to him.

They are. Either I’m someone who’s too close to the situation and can’t give it a fair viewing, or I’m someone who’s lived through it, knows how much it hurts, and how long it stays with you.

I haven’t watched Young Sheldon.

This was the best episode in a long time. The actor playing Georgie is good enough to add as an occasional character, like Mary Cooper or Bert.

And the “B” story wasn’t a drag. If I had been Amy, I’d have run out of the Wolowitz house at the first mention of pinkeye, and not waited around to have it confirmed.

So, Mark Hamill will be in next week’s episode. I wonder how they’ll write him into the story? Sheldon went to his twitter feed and invited him?

I’m betting he’s the officiant. Sheldon thinks he can slip a Jedi ceremony past Amy.

I wish Corey Feldman was in a better place mentally and professionally because if Wil Wheaton and Jerry O’Connell are going to end up in an episode together, it’d have been nice to have Teddy too with Gordie and Vern.

While watching this, I was mildly amused by the fact that Jerry O’Connell played someone who was as smart as Sheldon back in the day (Quinn Malory in “Sliders”).

It’s weird enough that Wil Wheaton is playing “himself” whereas Jerry is playing a character.

Not that it’s going to happen, but it would be weird if Wil Wheaton were to mention being in a film adaption of a Stephen King story when he was a kid. Particularly if he does so while Sheldon’s brother is in the room.

It would be a nice call out if George tells Wil that Stand By Me is his favorite Wheaton movie.

Well, Amy never mentioned dating Leonard when they were teens, Leslie Winkle doesn’t talk about how they used to be married and how Sheldon’s mom is her aunt. So probably, maybe Stand By Me won’t be mentioned.

In Season 6 Sheldon and Amy make lists of their favourite couples (I forget why) and in Amy’s list it includes Blossom and Joey. So they are not averse to in-joke references where they can fit them in organically.

There was another reference, but I assume it was an accident. I think it was in the episode where they have the Physics quiz-bowl type competition at their college. Sheldon quit their teamand the others had to think of a replacement. Raj said that the actress who played Blossom was really smart. That was before Mayim Bialik joined the show.

There was a Halloween party at the comic book store and Amy wanted boyfriend/girlfriend costumes to tell the world that they were a couple.

There was an episode where Amy poked holes in the plot of Raiders of the Lost Ark. To get back at her, Sheldon started to poke holes in Amy favorite TV show, Little House on the Prairie.

Blossom should have been Amy’s favorite TV show.

I hope Sheldon’s groomsmen sing a rousing edition of Ben E. King’s Stand By Me. Or Stephen King shows up for the wedding.

What was the punchline to the dentist joke on the vanity card.?

“Your light was on.”

Mary Cooper once said that God had given her two other children (and I quote directly) “dumb as soup.” Her elder son George Cooper Jr. owns a series of tire stores. He has to deal with the public, with employees (both low and upper levels), and the government.

“Dumb as soup” my ass. George got some of the Cooper smarts.