The Big Chill

While watching this move (I must have seen it at least 6 times) I’ve always had the sensation that it was written about, or at least inspired by, some real event. My guess was that the scriptwriter Lawrence Kasdan was represented by Jeff Goldblum’s character, ie the writer in the cast, being the socially inept nerd who starts to come to some realisation of his impact on others during the movie.

I see nothing in any of the online discussions of the movie to substantiate any of this though. Does anyone have any facts, or even minimally-informed opinions on my thoughts here?

As far as I know, the only real event that inspired it was Lawrence Kasdan seeing The Return of the Secaucus Seven. He probably took notes.

Nope, no theories. But I did think it was a fabulous movie at the time. Haven’t seen it lately, but I’m guessing it has stood the test of time.

The characters are based on people that Lawrence Kasdan lived with in a commune:

I can’t find any reference to it online, but a few years ago I read something by someone who knows a sister of Barbara Benedek, the co-screenwriter. He said that he thinks that Mary Kay Place’s character is based on this sister. Other websites say that Kasdan and Benedek talked with various people who vaguely resembled these characters and incorporated their stories.

Without a doubt, Kevin Costner’s best performance.

OK, thanks seems as good as I’m going to get, thanks folks. Looks like The Return of the Secaucus Seven is another movie I’m going to have to add to my ever-lengthening Quickflix queue …

Only due to the wise judgement of the editor, who should have received an Oscar for deleting the flashback scenes.