The Indiana Bell Telephone / SBC Building has a very interesting and eventful history. It was the site of the Meridian Street Methodist Episcopal Church, which was destroyed in a disastrous fire. In 1906-1907 the Central Union Telephone Company Building was built on the site.
In 1929, the Indiana Bell Telephone Company, which had purchased the Central Union Telephone Company, planned to build a new building. It was to occupy the site of the Central Union Telephone Company Building, the former Marion Club, and the old Indianapolis Telephone Company Building (a c.1860s-1870s mansion which had been remodeled for commercial purposes). Originally the company planned to demolish all three buildings, but architect Kurt Vonnegut, Sr. (father of the famed novelist) determined that the building could be moved to obtain its full life of service. The eight-story building weighed 11,000 tons and measured 101 by 34 feet. It was moved 52 feet south and then turned 90 degrees, then moved 100 feet west to face Meridian Street
Eighteen workers using 100-ton jacks moved the building in 3/8-inch increments. The move began on October 14, 1930 and was completed on November 12. A special concrete mat was poured below the basement level and covered with large timbers and 600 tons of rail. The building moved on more than 400 rollers, and its occupants were not conscious of any motion during the move. It remains one of the largest buildings ever moved