The biggest galactic flash ever

I sense a great disturbance in the Force, Luke.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if this happened 50,000 light years away, doesn’t that mean the explosion happened 50,000 years ago? And we’re just now picking up the blast? It was so powerful it “briefly disturbed Earth’s atmosphere!”

I cannot wait until we can get out there. Can’t someone invent warp speed already?

Magnetar?

Wasn’t that an 80s videogame?

I read the title of the thread and now my brain has the image of Galactus with a trench coat… :smack:

Oh, you guys are hopeless. :smack:

It’s the biggest explosion in space that we’ve ever recorded! What was orbiting that star? It may have been a class M planet! Maybe with a civilization? Or maybe the explosion wiped out a nearby star system!

Are you enthralled, excited, scared, itching to join Star Fleet?

As long as nobody tries to reverse my polarity, sure!

Seriously, this would be a great time to be a Q. Just pop into the neighborhood and check it out in person.

Huh.

If you were Q you probably caused it.

You asked for it.

Note: Flash animation, with sound. Does indeed feature Galactus in a trenchcoat. Also features Cpt. America as Dante and Daredevil as Randal.

I’m sure its a Class Y planet now.
God, I’m such a nerd.

Yup, demon class.

Nope, you’re not the only one.

I’d say Class B. Maybe even Class E.

Actually, it’s probably several planets now, minus whatever mass ended up becoming part of the gamma radiation that bounced off the moon.

:smiley:

The peaceful Class M planet was no doubt vaporized back during the supernova when the magnetar went from regular star to (magnetar) neutron star.

That was awesome!

I’m guessing that was either a.) the Death Star blowing up, or b.) the Death Star blowing something else up.

As long as I don’t have to wear a red shirt, and then go down to a planet’s surface in my role as unknown peon.

Man. That’s a death sentence for sure.

Had to share rhis

Explains it all.

Lousy Vogons, always hitting us with their gamma rays as intense as the light from the full moon.

Has anyone any idea quite how devistating that was? If we ‘felt’ it at 50,000 ly
then what did it do to planets within 500 ly of the star, as it would have been 10,000 times as powerful at that range.
At what sort of range would that event wipe out lpotential ife on a planet?

The figure I heard quoted was 10 ly. Lucky for us, there are no magnetars in the neighborhood.

Interestingly enough, if you put a magnetar where the Moon is now? Yeah, your body would be disrupted by the magnetic fields. Mmm hmmm.

I’m reading A Fire in the Deep right now and it’s giving me the same feeling. I have a hard time with how small we are down here and how stuck on our planet–and yet we quibble over religion and land and you-name-it.

I’m with you Ivylass…I would love to be out there.

If there’s anything to this reincarnation thing, I am so coming back when we have established space travel and joining Star Fleet.