The Book of Eli <No spoilers in OP>

I really enjoyed this movie, and I don’t think anyone will be disappointed. There was a little old lady in front of us at the theater, and I sure hope SHE got what she came for, though I can’t imagine what it might have been. :stuck_out_tongue: (I know, I’m stereotyping; I hope I’m cool enough when I’m 70 to go watch apocalyptic flicks too)

I don’t know whether it’s a spoiler to comment on the acting, specifically the accent of one of the characters. On the one hand, I’d like to see if anyone else thought what I did, but on the other, I don’t want anyone going into the movie thinking ‘Huh, s/he DOES sound like xxxx’. It’s not storyline related in any way, but just in case…a comment about one of the actors’ voices:

I thought Gary Oldman, as always, pulled off an amazing accent.
But I could NOT help thinking he watched 200 Jack Nicholson movies to practice for it. It didn’t detract at all for me, but for some reason, it just sounded like…Jack Nicholson. My ear may be just so off-key that just the merest trace of the same accent is enough to account for it, but…it was great! I just don’t know why I thought he sounded like Jack Nicholson. :smack:

Whoops…didn’t realize the other Eli thread actually had Eli comments in it; ignore this one!
It appears lots of people WILL be disappointed :smiley: As I prefer Mad Max apocalyptics to The Road types, I still enjoyed it. The only ‘wtf’ I had about it was Solara’s attitude. Yes, I know, add a little levity to the situation, maybe, but she was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sparky.
Even with that, I still enjoyed it, hrmph.

I’ll check out the other thread, but I did not see the accent thing in the OP. I thought Oldman’s character wasn’t a cartoon, but a fully realized character, and perhaps more than just a villain.

Oh, I agree completely! But my brain kept jumping to Jack Nicholson, and I really don’t know why. Hrm.
And I mean Jack Nicholson’s voice, not his mannerisms or anything. Character-wise, of course.