The Bourne Ultimatum (Possible Spoilers)

Anything classified or above will be clearly marked with either a cover sheet or a stamp indicating its classification level. I know this looks like some kind of movie-ism like dynamite being red or blinking countdown timers on a bomb no one is supposed to see, but this is actually what classified documents look like. Here is an example of GSA approved cover sheets, but I’ve seen others.

Camera work is bad when you notice the camera work. Unless you’re a film student or enthusiast, you just shouldn’t be noticing what the cameraman is doing; it should just enhance the film without intruding or obscuring. Shaky, handheld camerawork has its place, particularly in a cinema verité type of work, but Greengrass has apparently decided that this is his trademark, whether its called for or not. Very annoying and intrusive, especially during the fight scenes where Bourne is in his element; shaky camerawork might be indicative of his confusion and uncertainty at other times, but when he goes to work it should be solid and flowing.

Stranger

In the second film, after Marie is killed, Bourne burns at least 2 passports. From this we are to assume that he got her the passports. So, he can get passports that the Agency has no knowledge of whatsoever. How would he know which of his “old” passports are in his main file and which are not (beside the fact that he’s Jason Bourne)? :slight_smile:

Saw it yesterday with the family. All of us enjoyed it terribly.
I was aware of the camera issue after Damon’s interview on TDS. Didn’t bother me except for a few instances, such as the final car chase. I realized it was intended to convey the frantic confusion, but as a movie viewer I wanted to be able to see WTF was going on.
How come Bourne has his chicks dye and cut their hair, but he doesn’t do anything to alter his appearance? Different haircut, facial hair - hell, just get rid of that black coat!
Initially, I thought the evil doctor was the CIA guy who shot himself in one of the previous 2 movies. Was anyone else momentarily confused?
Terribly enjoyable film, tho.

Yes! I was wondering how the suicide could have been faked.

Clive Owen, eh? I must not have been as “aware” of him when I saw that one; I guess I’ll have to rewatch it.

I would guess that he would assume that any of the passports that he pulled from the safety deposit box in the first film were ones he’d gotten from the agency, and the Gilberto Whatever passport that he uses to flag Landy was definitely one of those. It just hadn’t been used at all before that, so it wasn’t on anyone’s watch list except Treadstone’s, and Vosen wasn’t looking for it. I also agree with whoever it was upthread that said he can probably arrange other passports that no one knows about, when he wants to travel completely incognito.

Word. The several times when the camera showed the back on one person’s neck and one eye of the other person was kicking me right out of the movie. I kept wondering when the camera was going to slide too far to the side and take the floating eyeball out of the shot.

I just saw the movie last night. I liked it, but thought the others were better. But one thing just came off as Homer Simpson dumb. Jason Bourne has the whole NSA after hime and he:

calls the head of it to announce that he’s in his office. If he doesn’t do that, he can walk out as easily as he walked in and make it to his next destination unbeknownst to all.

I thought that was uncharacteristically dumb for Mr. Bourne.

Heh. I spent most of the film wondering the same thing; however, because the third film actually bookends the ending of the second, they couldn’t alter his appearance.

Ward Abbot is played by Brian Cox. Dr. Hirsch is played by Albert Finney. These actors have vied for the same role on a number of occasions. Ditto for Chris Cooper and David Strathairn, both of whom are John Sayles regulars. Whether intentional or not, this just reinforces my impression that the third film was creatively bankrupt and essentially just a warmed over rehash of the first two movies. I don’t know if this is because screenwriter Tony Gilroy got lazy, or because the producers or studio execs wanted a safe action-oriented film to compete with the recent Bond movie rather than something more character driven like the first two films. The first film wasn’t actually all that profitable; it was in the black, but wasn’t a major blockbuster and didn’t even hit the nine figure mark on domestic release.

He was “The Professor” (Barcelona) who was sent to terminate Bourne at the farmhouse outside of Paris. He and Bourne get in a cat-and-mouse game in a cornfield, and after Bourne mortally wounds him and tries to interrogate him, he turns philosophical with his dying words: “Look at what they make you give.” croak It’s actually pretty well done, and a thematically important scene, as you realize that the Treadstone operatives (including Bourne) have sacrificed much for their jobs and have been told little or nothing about their overall mission.

It’s the green Brazilian passport you see briefly as his flips through the passports in the first film. I would assume that one of the many skills in Bourne’s pantheon is altering or fabricating identification and travel documents.

One major problem for me is the notion that anyone would run a “black ops kill squad” operation out of Langley or with official, documented approval. What career bureaucrat is going to sign his name to anything that is blatantly illegal, or keep incriminating documentation of long-past missions in his personal safe? And Vosen running around in a room full of technicians ordering hit after hit strikes me as absurd; Conklin was at least smart enough not to go blabbing about what he’d done in front of masses of people. This film was just sloppy; a reasonably good actioneer, but totally linear and not even modestly clever like its predecessors.

Stranger

Yeah, I thought that as well. When he’s saying essentially, “We’ll kill whomever we want - including our own people, and keep killing until we win.” And then the 10 or so techs in the room just get to work following his orders. Made me wonder what type of indoctrination would be needed to bring about that kind of unquestioning compliance.

I’d love to really participate in this thread, but three-quarters through the movie, the projector malfunctioned. Once I get un-pissed-off, I’ll go back and watch the rest.

I loved what I saw, though!!

My sympathies.

[hijack]

Several years ago, my mom and I went to see The Preacher’s Wife in the theater. Halfway through the movie, some jackass pulled a fire alarm somewhere in the theater, and we were all ushered out. To this day, I’ve never seen the second half of the film.

[/hijack]

Go see the rest of it! The finish was fun!

Not spoiler boxed because it’s page two of a thread that announces possible spoilers so it’s your own damn fault for reading this :slight_smile:

The safe had a voice activated code, which the director had used earlier. Bourne had to call him to get his name on tape and use that to open the safe again.
Why did he specifically announce his presence in the room? Because he’s Jason Bourne, man. Nothing can stop him. Not even Chuck Norris.

Okay, that explains why Bourne called him, but not why he told him that he was in his office. Of course, if he hadn’t we wouldn’t have had that kick-ass chase scene.

That and the weird flashback scenes explain why I kept expecting to see Jason get fitted with adamantium claws.

Although, in fairness, he has yet to go up against Jack Bauer.

He had to call him to get the voice print for the safe. I imagine he knew they’d figure out his location in about two seconds anyway.

Either that or it was just such a good line that the writers couldn’t resist it.

I’m so glad I’m not the only person to have had this thought. But I think Bourne has an advantage over Jack. Jack – like Birdman out of sunlight – loses his powers when he’s not in the greater Los Angeles area. But if CTU could set up a perimeter to contain Bourne in LA, it would totally be on!

I’m sure it was the latter, His phone was untraceable during the whole movie. Unless the building had some Secret Super Duper Cell Phone Tracking Capability. Which, of course, is quite likely. :wink:

Hrmm, maybe I’m misremembering, but didn’t he call the director guy on the director guy’s own phone?

I don’t think so. I do remember that when they guy answered the phone he looked at it first and didn’t seem to get any info from caller ID. But that could be explained either way, I guess. But I thought Bourne was on his own phone wlaking around the office. Anyone?