The Bourne Ultimatum (Possible Spoilers)

When Joan Allen was leafing through the indoctrination papers on Jason Bourne, the blood type said A pos. Then his David Webb dog tags said O pos.

Complete blood transfusion? :dubious:

And the guy with him on the roof was supposed to be the guy in the chase? Pretty quick recovery, along the lines of the indestructible Bourne himself.

Just nitpicking; overall it was a fun movie.

I saw Sunday’s first showing and was surprised at how filled the theater already was.

I enjoyed it. I concede all the plot holes, but enjoyed it none-the-less. I did find the chase scenes annoying, but do in almost every movie.

Don’t let that bother you much. I’ve seen Top Secret cover sheets (the cover sheets aren’t classified) before.

I sat in about the fourth row when I saw it yesterday, and about 45 minutes in I had to leave the theater because I felt so nauseated I literally thought I was going to vomit— something that I’ve never experienced from a movie before. (When I got to the lobby I felt fine, and was relatively okay for the remainder of the movie, but I felt seriously close to heaving for a few minutes.)

I imagined someone in the lobby seeing me bolt from the theater with vomit spewing through my fingers, saying to himself “wow, and I thought I hated Matt Damon…”

Near-retching aside, I thought it was a pretty good movie, although the shaky-cam/jump-cutting was so intense during some of the fight scenes it made Bourne look a bit like the Tasmanian Devil.

Saw it this weekend; really, really enjoyed it.

What I don’t get is why didn’t Desh shoot Bourne after Daniel’s car blew up in Tangiers? Bourne was just laying there, stunned by the explosion. Sure, there were people around, but he then goes on to roam around the streets with a gun in hand looking for Nicky…there was his shot, right there!

That’s too bad. The first movie had some of the best choreographed action scenes I’ve ever seen. The fights lasted a few seconds unless he was also fighting another super trained special ops type guy - but they were quick, realistic, and brutal. No flashiness, no wasted motion, just inflicting the most damage in the shortest time possible. The chase scenes were also very good.

The second one looked like it had the same degree of excellent choreography, but it was completely ruined by how ridiculously bad the camera work was. What’s the use of a great action scene if it’s intentionally cut so that you can’t figure out what the hell is going on?

What a waste.

I assume it was because there were a number of witnesses already on the scene by the time Desh got a good view of Bourne’s body on the ground, and since he was fairly certain Bourne was dead, there was no reason to put himself or his identity at risk.
That was my impression, at least.

I, too, hated the shaky “Blair Witch” camera-work. Unlike amusement park rides, people enjoy movies more without the nausea. I thought the rooftop chases went on a little long, and Nikki would’ve easily disappeared into the crowd if she’d grabbed a headscarf to put over her distinctive streaked hair. I’d’ve liked more background on Nikki & Bourne’s background, since he obviously didn’t remember. I thought the fight scenes were good. Quietly, deadly and fast.

StG

O neg. I noticed that too; it’s odd the continuity errors that show up even in a major production. (Have to admit, I love scenes where you get a glimpse of a complete printed profile of a character, with little details that aren’t otherwise referred to; adds verisimilitude.)

Absolutely agreed; even more so since I discovered my father had to leave the movie after 15 minutes of having motion sickness – and he loved the first one!

It’s as if the first movie’s action scenes was filmed from Jason Bourne’s perspective: calm, collected, and easy to follow. Whereas the sequels seemed to take it from the enemy’s view: fast, frantic, hard to follow. This worked well in Batman Begins, but not so much for Bourne.

I very much miss the original director, but the 2nd and 3rd movies are better than almost any other sequels, but the camera work is shoddy as hell.

Another vote here for “hold the fucking camera still, already” but I have to add something else to the camera complaints; in the scene where they’re sitting in the diner, the camera cuts back and forth between them five times without a word being said. During each camera cut, only half (or less) of a character’s face is visible, because the camera is also getting the back of the other character’s head, cutting part of it off.

Seriously, guys. Someone got paid a million freakin’ dollars to wobble those cameras around and film the back of someone’s head.

Loved the movie, by the way. I love my wife, too, and that’s why I point out the spaghetti she spilled on her dress. Movie = wife. Camera = spaghetti.

Yeah, camera work should NEVER detract from a scene, and it was just being ridiculous there. During dinner, come on?

Well, let’s not act like he doesn’t know what he’s doing.

That might not be your style, but it’s Paul Freakin’ Greengrass you’re talking about.

Normally, I’m not a big fan of the quick cuts during fight scenes, but I think that this movie did it quite well; he gave enough of the crucial details to locate the action, and it made it that much more dramatic and real, for instance, when he slowed down the editing as Bourne choked out Desh. The contrast from the rest of the fight was interesting.

I think that shots like you’re describing in the diner put me in the action more than the typical positioning. Kind of feels like you’re eavesdropping. The whole movie had that “in the moment” feel to it, and it’s quite possible that people who think they enjoyed the movie despite all the handheld work were actually fooled into liking it because of the handheld work.

The problem comes when you pay too much attention to it.

I thought so too. When we see mostly back of head and just parts of Daniels’s face and gestures, it’s like we’re with the reporter or the spies, trying to figure out who he is.

Thirded. This sort of thing didn’t bother me in the least.

I have to say that I must be the only person in this thread who didn’t even notice the shaky camera work. At least not consciously. It certainly didn’t detract from the film for me at all.

I didn’t notice the shaky cam in the second film and probably only noticed it in this one because of the all the previous complaints. My one thought was how in the world the gently swaying/rocking motion could make anyone nauseous or go into a seizure. I actually found it kind of relaxing, like sitting on a pool float, watching the world drift around me.

I totaly agree with this. During that whole bit I kept thinking “Come on - wouldn’t she have had a black scarf to pull out of her bag and wrap around her head?” I mean, wouldn’t she have brought a headscarf for cultural reasons if not for camouflage?

Saw this movie today (Tuesday) at a 1.30 matinee, and the theater was almost full. It was Times Square, though, so quite a bit of the audience was composed of tourists.

I really liked it. I agree that the scenes in London were excellent. The camera work did get a bit much on occasion, but for the most part i didn’t mind it.

In many ways, it was my favorite of the three movies, although i think my ambivalence about the first one stemmed less from the movie itself than from the way its story diverged from the book. Once i managed to get over the fact that they really weren’t interested in taking anything but the most basic stuff from the novels, i was able to appreciate the movies on their own terms. I did get really annoyed when they killed off Franka Potente, though.

I quite liked the rooftop confrontation between Bourne and the other killer at the end of the movie, where Bourne repeats Clive Owen’s line from the first film: “Look at what they make you give.”

Actually, it’s not unspoken at all. We are specifically told that Pamela Landy’s assistant learns of Bourne’s entry into the US because he used an old passport that was in one file, but not in his main file.

Agreed. Files, cables, etc. are all very clearly marked with their classifications.

Know what would have been funny? If some of the documents that were not Top Secret had been stamped with Dick Cheney’s “TREAT AS SECRET” stamp that he made up.