The boys in blue vs. the blues boys - A musical smackdown

In 1964 Sonny Curtis came out with a song innocently titled “I fought the law.” A lighthearted folksie tune about his struggles against the city’s finest. Alas, the law won. We all thought that was the end of it. Turns out some hold grudges a bit longer than others.

Cut to 1973. Bob Marley blasts onto the scene with “I shot the sheriff.” That he didn’t shoot the deputy seems to have made no difference. He crossed the line and everyone knew it. It certainly didn’t help matters when Clapton joined him in his anti-establishment cause. The officers were aghast and demanded blood.

They struggled valiently, musician and the law enforcement. It left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth though. In 1983 though, John (Cougar) Mellencamp came out with the hit “Authority Song” and shattered the near decade old stalemate. It seems the tide had turned, the authority was always winning, and the battle waged onward.

Out of the blue, Ice T roared in with his suped up pimp-mobile of death and broke through the boys in blue with his gangsta rap “Cop killer” in 1992. Musicians around the world united under this figurehead who had the courage to do battle with entire sections of the Executive branch.

The war rages on today. Both sides locked in a heated clash. As we near the 10 year mark, one can only wonder which camp will break free and win the next battle. Time will tell, my friends, time will tell…

You forgot “this is the story of Hurricane”.

SO is your contention that violent lyrics cause violence? Or are you taking the opposing argument?

There’s a VERY old quote - like around the time of Aristotle and Plato - about what’s wrong with kids today; I’ll find it and drag it out for you.

Much as I might dislike the lyrics of some of the songs my children listen to, those lyrics are no more responsible for kids shooting kids now than they were for kids taking drugs in my generation or kids having sex in my parents generation.

The music reflects life, NOT the other way around.

As the BeeGees once sang “it’s only words”…