The Brit is 'Tommy', the German 'Fritz', the Russian 'Ivan', the American...?

To further confuse the matter, there was a cartoonist named Bill Mauldin, who started working for “Stars and Stripes” around 1940, and created the comic “Willie and Joe” which was hugely popular with the soldiers. W&J were GIs.

handsomeharry, I can’t find your speech, yet, but I’m going to keep looking.

Where is Unca Cecil when you need him?

Bill Mauldin IMdB page: Bill Mauldin - IMDb

Bill Mauldin Wikipedia page: Bill Mauldin - Wikipedia

on the way to Kokomo.

The full name of Tommy was Tommy Atkins, of long lineage although most famous through Kipling’s:
I went into a public-‘ouse to get a pint o’ beer,
The publican ‘e up an’ sez, “We serve no red-coats here.”
The girls be’ind the bar they laughed an’ giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an’ to myself sez I:
O it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ “Tommy, go away”;
But it’s “Thank you, Mister Atkins”, when the band begins to play,

Bar-girls were silly little things back in the '90s…
Anyway, speaking of war cartoonists, I noticed that Bruce Bairnsfather’s * famous WWI character Old Bill is claimed here by the Americans in this edition of “** Well, If You Knows of a Better 'Ole, Go to It !**”
The breadcrumb trail is:

SHOP > world culture > north american cultures > united states culture > united states history > world war i
Sometimes one despairs of the internet.

Oddly enough Bairnsfather did become official cartoonist to the American forces in Europe, but that was WWII, not the previous episode.

• Wouldn’t all fathers be the fathers of bairns ?

“Tom and Jerry” as a phrase refers back much further:
http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/03/28/tom-jerrys-life-in-london/

Yes, but they don’t all openly acknowledge it to the world like that. :wink:

Recalls to mind a thing I saw long ago, drawn by the prolific British cartoonist Rowland Emett (1906 – 1990); most renowned for cartoons of crazy and highly elaborate machines a la the style of America’s Rube Goldberg (sp?), and of doings on comical branch-line railways – but he also drew cartoons on many other themes. This one, from the World War II era, showed a scene of the local lord and lady of the manor entertaining a group of servicemen from the local US military base, with everyone trying hard, to be as nice to each other as possible. The caption has the lady-of saying, “Now for an interesting social experiment we’ve thought up. Earl and Chester here, will make for Edwin [the butler] a Pimms No. 1 [English “cocktail” long favoured by the upper classes]; while he makes them a mint julep.”

These fellows – Tom, Jerry, and Bob Logic – get a brief “walk-on” appearance in George MacDonald Fraser’s novel Black Ajax, about the bare-knuckle boxing scene in England in the very early 19th century.