The Burning Goat

“Troll, leave my two little brothers alone!” he said gruffly.

allo, you burned my goat, prepare to fry!

I don’t have the solution but I think these people do.

I was laughing to myself all afternoon while thinking of that problem. My coworkers must think I’m insane. (They might be right, but that’s beside the point.) And yes, I solved the problem.

The thing is, that’s a huge farm. 12 miles by 5 miles? A goat that burns for an hour? Since the original problem has been answered well, allow me to scale down the problem to something a bit more reasonable:

Instead of 5 miles and 12 miles, the distances are 500 feet and 1200 feet. The goat can survive for one minute (not one hour) before dying. Everything else stays the same; the running speeds are still 25 mph and 6 mph. How does the goat fare now?

Wow. That problem really got my goat.

[QUOTE=Diceman]
I was laughing to myself all afternoon while thinking of that problem. My coworkers must think I’m insane. (They might be right, but that’s beside the point.) And yes, I solved the problem.

The thing is, that’s a huge farm. 12 miles by 5 miles? A goat that burns for an hour? Since the original problem has been answered well, allow me to scale down the problem to something a bit more reasonable:

Instead of 5 miles and 12 miles, the distances are 500 feet and 1200 feet. The goat can survive for one minute (not one hour) before dying. Everything else stays the same; the running speeds are still 25 mph and 6 mph. How does the goat fare now?
[/QUOTE]

The goat’s toast. It’s got one-sixtieth of the time it had before but the distances are 1/52.8 - in other words, it has proportionately less time than it had before, and since it didn’t have enough time in the original problem, it doesn’t have enough time now.

[QUOTE=Malacandra]
The goat’s toast. It’s got one-sixtieth of the time it had before but the distances are 1/52.8 - in other words, it has proportionately less time than it had before, and since it didn’t have enough time in the original problem, it doesn’t have enough time now.
[/QUOTE]

What if the goat is on a treadmill?

Wait, did we do that joke already?