The Canadian election is boring. Here's how to spice it up.

…and nobody’s done that since Pierre Trudeau in the 70s.

I have hopes for the Sons of Trudeau, though. Rorrw!

Justin Trudeau - Justin Time!

eta - the finger worked for his dad.

Excuse me? Yes, I’ve bloody well done my homework, I’ve been involved in politics since high school. I just don’t see any reason to care about any of the parties and the fatuous, empty promises they’re making. Harper will win his majority and nothing will change.

Not true at all. The economic policies of the Greens and NDP are dealbreakers for me. The social policies of the Tories are dealbreakers for me. And I’m not even remotely sold on the Green Shift. Who’s left for me to vote for? I’m leaning Liberal at the moment, on the grounds that they’re not going to get to implement the Green Shift plan and otherwise their policies are reasonably aligned with my views, but I’m not at all happy with my options.

I understand completely. I once actually did vote Rhino and have never regretted doing so. My riding isn’t fielding one this time, though - so all I can do is vote against the cons or not at all, which I’d rather not do.

Are you me? This is exactly my thinking.

What really pisses me off is that all of the parties have made insane promises that they clearly know they can’t keep, so how the hell can we judge them effectively? I’ve probably changed my mind a half-dozen times since this pointless time-waster of an election was called and I’m still not satisfied. Not that my vote matters, my riding is Justice Minister’s Rob Nicholson’s and he’s pretty much a lock :mad:

I keep hoping the Marxist-Leninist will run again in my riding. He’s so getting my vote if he does.

Sweet! There is one running!

I’m interested in knowing what social policies of the Conservatives are deal breakers for you.

Thanks.

Removing discretion of judges in sentencing in order to “get tough on crime” - actually most of their “tough on crime” policies. Rescinding movement to liberalize drug laws. Past opposition to gay rights (I doubt they’d re-open that debate even with a majority, but I haven’t forgiven them for opposing yet.)

And, not strictly social policies but in a similar vein, restricting press access to government is bad and general transparency has been badly lacking. Where’s this accountability they were harping on (heh) during Adscam? At least the Liberals showed up to testify at the inquiry into their corruption scandal. Not that I’m trying to draw an equivalence between Adscam and the In and Out deal, but let’s be serious here. The Tories were unwilling to fess up to the most minor campaign wrongdoing and get their hand slapped. That’s not accountability.

Valid points, to be sure. Regarding the judicial issues, is this removal of discretion the “reverse onus” clause for gun crimes? If so, I’m all for the legislation. And I don’t have a problem with “tough of crime” and drugs either. I hope it wouldn’t reach the same level of mandatory incarceration that is apparent to the south though. Who knows.

I’m completely with you on the gay rights issue.

I think where the Conservatives were coming from on the In-and-Out deal was that this had apparently always taken place but now they were being taken to task for it, and refused to be the sacrificial lamb. I could be wrong, but I recall that this practice of dolling out money to local parties, only to have it returned as campaign advertising dollars was not uncommon for all parties in the past. Again, maybe I’m wrong. The amount of money though was quite small though and doesn’t worry me too much.

Jeez. This is the pit? Pass the cucumber sandwiches and tea please.

See, the problem with this ad is that we all know who wears the pants in the Layton-Chow household, and I can assure you that it sure as hell ain’t Jack. The only way this ad would work is if Olivia was lying in bed next to the hussy, fixing her mussed-up hair and smoking a joint.

That lady has balls of steel. I’m completely puzzled at the fact that she hasn’t convinced Jack to shave off his child-molester-meets-Tom-Selleck mustache yet… he’d look way more believable without it.

I can’t vote for any fucker who breaks his own law just because he doesn’t think he’s got a large enough sandbox. Stephen “We whiiinnnee a majority” Harper is a twat, and his party is a collection of idjits who are just panting for the chance to throw 14 year olds in jail. Except they won’t dare outlaw handguns, because that would offend their base. Fuckers.

Jack Layton is a charismatic guy, but any party that advocates making English a second-class language is stupidity incarnate.

The Liberals seem to have a germ of a good idea in the Green Shift policy (which is a hell of a lot better than the “let’s give money to polluters with an ineffective cap and trade carbon plan” advocated by the Tories and the NDP) but it’s presented as academic wanking by an academic wanker.

RickJay has written ads for all the parties, darnit. There’s gotta be one left…wait, I know:

“Hello, I’m Mario Dumont. Yes, I know that the ADP, run by me, Mario Dumont, isn’t fielding candidates in the federal election. But we bought this ad so I, Mario Dumont, could get some more TV face time…”

Don’t forget, even after everything, every country in Europe still has a Communist Party or a party lineally descended from one. Sometimes they actually get into government. Except in Russia, where they’re Putin’s main opposition.

Aside from the crime ones, they hold any?

How can you possibly trust an election that does not take 2 years of campaigning and cost a billion dollars.?

We get by.

Oh, it’ll cost a lot more than a billion dollars. You should see the spending promises.

That’s right folks! Global economic upheaval and massive debt burdening by the country’s largest trade partner can only mean 1 thing for an aspiring Canadian political party. That’s right - Freeze Taxes and Spend Money[sup]tm[/sup].

We are run by fuckwits. :smack:

An argument could be made that the now dead “Unborn Victims of Crime Act” (Bill C-484) was a sneaky, back-door way to re-open the abortion debate in Canada.

However, the smug triumphalism of Rob Nicholson with his simplistic tough-on-crime measures really rub me the wrong way. Sorry, but tougher laws and harsher penalties are only one side of the equation.

However, I freely admit a bias. I’ve disliked Nicholson since he was a proponent of reinstating the death penalty back in the Mulroney days. I’m also in his riding and we’ve been saturation bombed with fear-mongering propaganda from his office all summer (at the taxpayer’s expense) and I’m heartily sick of it.