The canon of American political books

Some friends and I were recently discussing books in or about American politics and American political history. Occasionally, one of us would admit to not having read some critical book, so one friend asked everyone for their list of 10 or 12 books that constitute canonical literature in American politics. What books make your list?

By the way, to make the list, a book can’t be merely a good book about American politics, it must be an essential book about American politics. Secondary sources only, please – for example, please don’t list the Declaration, or the Constitution, or an important proclamation or legislation. My list includes only nonfiction, but I can imagine a case being made for a work of fiction.

Here is my list:

[ul][li] H.W. Brands, The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin[/li]
[li] The Federalist Papers (So essential that it has arguably become a primary source)[/li]
[li] Joseph J. Ellis, Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation[/li]
[li] Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America[/li]
[li] Daniel J. Boorstin, The Americans: The Democratic Experience[/li]
[li] Carl Sandburg, Abraham Lincoln[/li]
[li] H.W. Brands, T.R.: The Last Romantic[/li]
[li] Richard E. Neustadt, Presidential Power and the Modern Presidents[/li]
[li] John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage[/li]
[li] Robert Caro, The Years of Lyndon Johnson (3 vols. + counting)[/li]
[li] T.H. White, The Making of the President, 1960*[/li]
Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72[/ul]

[QUOTE=brianmelendez]

[ul][li] H.W. Brands, The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin[/li]
[li] The Federalist Papers (So essential that it has arguably become a primary source)[/li]
[li] Joseph J. Ellis, Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation[/li]
[li] Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America[/li]
[li] Daniel J. Boorstin, The Americans: The Democratic Experience[/li]
[li] Carl Sandburg, Abraham Lincoln[/li]
[li] H.W. Brands, T.R.: The Last Romantic[/li]
[li] Richard E. Neustadt, Presidential Power and the Modern Presidents[/li]
[li] John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage[/li]
[li] Robert Caro, The Years of Lyndon Johnson (3 vols. + counting)[/li]
[li] T.H. White, The Making of the President, 1960*[/li]
[li] Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72[/ul][/li][/QUOTE]

Plunkitt Of Tammany Hall, William L. Riordan.

Great idea for a thread.

Public Opinion by Walter Lippmann

Democracy and Distrust by John Hart Ely

Two more:

The American Political Tradition by Richard Hofstadter

The Strange Career of Jim Crow by C. Vann Woodward

Congressional Government: A Study in American Politics by Woodrow Wilson

The American Voter by Angus Campbell, et al.

An American Dilemma: The Negro Problem and Modern Democracy by Gunnar Myrdal (this book, like Public Opinion, I cannot recommend highly enough)

The Best and The Brightest - Davis Halberstam

Something To Die For - James Webb

Parliament of Whores - P. J. O’Rourke

The Hofstadter book, by the way, deserves extra credit for potentially influencing Bill Watterson with its very first sentence:

:slight_smile:

The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements by Eric Hoffer

Nice one, mbh.

An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the United States by Charles Beard

“The Significance of the Frontier in American History” by Frederick Jackson Turner

Seymor Martin Lipset’s “The First New Nation”.

The Supreme Court by William H. Rehnquist

The Next American Nation by Michael Lind. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0684825031/sr=1-1/qid=1144715690/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1964943-3726312?_encoding=UTF8&s=books

A couple of bookends:

The Triumph of Politics by David Stockman

Locked in the Cabinet by Robert Reich

They explore what happens (to a conservative and liberal, respectively) when ideals collide head on with pragmaticism.

While not a book, I think George Kennan’s Mr. X article in Foreign Affairs is one of the most important political documents of the 20th century.

Some outstanding suggestions so far. Of the books already nominated, those that might well make my own top 10 list include:

Hamilton, Madison, and Jay, The Federalist Papers.
Beard, Economic Interpretation of the Constitution.
Myrdal, An American Dilemma.
Tocqueville, Democracy in America.
Hofstadter, The American Political Tradition.
Lippmann, Public Opinion.
Turner, The Sginificance of the Frontier in American History.

Some others that i’d think about adding:

John Dewey, The Public and Its Problems (1927), which was really a response to Lippmann. The two books can usefully be read together.

Some more works from the period around the Revolution:[ul]
[li]Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia (1787).[/li][li]Thomas Paine, Common Sense (1776).[/li][li]John Adams, A Dissertation on the Canon and the Feudal Law (1765).[/ul][/li]
For those looking for works with a libertarian bent:[ul]
[li]F.A. Hayek, The Road to Serfdom (1945).[/li][li]Milton Friedman, Capitalism and Freedom (1962).[/ul][/li]
For those interested in conservative thought:[ul]
[li]Russell Kirk, The Conservative Mind (1953)[/li][li]William F. Buckley, Jr., God and Man at Yale (1951)[/li][li]Allam Bloom, The Closing of the Ameircan Mind (1987)[/ul][/li]
For Cold War liberalism:[ul]
[li]Daniel Bell, The End of Ideology[/li][li]Walt W. Rostow, The Stages of Economic Growth: A Non-Communist Manifesto (1960)[/ul][/li]An outstanding recent book about postwar thought in America:

S.M. Amadae, Rationalizing Capitalist Democracy: The Cold War Origins of Rational Choice Liberalism (2003).

I’m guessing that you consider “Civil Disobedience”, and “Letter from Birmingham Jail” primary sources?

“A People’s History of the United States,” Howard Zinn.

No. I actually think that they make pretty good additions to the list.

The Right Nation: Conservative Power in America, by John Micklethwait & Adrian Wooldridge – [url6http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008EH6LE/sr=1-1/qid=1144763972/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6905602-3394450?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books]
Very comprehensive and insightful account about gradual the rise of the conservative movement to power from the 1964 Goldwater campaign to the present. The authors are British, giving them a fresh outsider’s perspective.

The World Turned Right Side Up: A History of the Conservative Ascendancy in America, by Jeffrey Hodgson – http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395822939/sr=1-1/qid=1144764115/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6905602-3394450?_encoding=UTF8&s=books
Goes back further, to Rand and Buckley and Russell Kirk in the '50s.

The Emerging Democratic Majority by John B. Judis and Ray Teixeira – http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743254783/sr=1-1/qid=1144764738/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6905602-3394450?_encoding=UTF8&s=books
Rather dry but very detailed demographic analysis of voting patterns shows why the authors expect Democrats to dominate the coming decade in American politics.

Spoiling for a Fight: Third-Party Politics in America, by Micah Sifry – http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0415931428/sr=1-2/qid=1144765047/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-6905602-3394450?_encoding=UTF8&s=books
Focuses in third-party movements in the past 10-20 years. Includes the whole story of the Reform Party’s rise and fall.
From the left end:

The Collapse of Liberalism: Why America Needs a New Left, by Charles Noble – http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0742527573/sr=8-1/qid=1144763741/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6905602-3394450?_encoding=UTF8

The Long Detour: The History and Future of the American Left, by James Weinstein – http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007UDZ2S/sr=1-1/qid=1144763894/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6905602-3394450?_encoding=UTF8&s=books

The Making of the President, 1960, by Theodore White. Informative for the story itself and also for the attitude of the author. It’s classic 50s-style inside journalism.