The Carpenters: A (Re) Appreciation

Yup; he wasn’t David Cassidy, but he was definitely a bit of a heartthrob. My wife had a big crush on him when she was a tween.

Huh. Whadya know. I can’t judge guys looks at all.

I found this cover from Tiger Beat Magazine, from, I think, 1974. Note that Randolph Mantooth (in the shearling jacket) is right up there on the cover with Donny Osmond and Tony DeFranco. :smiley: (I have no idea who “Nino,” at the bottom, is.)

He’s one of the DeFranco Family.

I wish I didn’t still know that…

:: Backing slowly out of the room ::

Wait! Not before you see this! Tony, Benny, Marisa, Merlina and Nino DeFranco

The 70s were an interesting time.

Where’re The Cowsills when you need them?

They were old news! They were from there…SIXTIES! That’s like…ancient. Even David (sigh) was getting old (24!) - the TB crowd was into Shawn, and soon Leif.

Next up: Bay City Rollers?

And I always thought they were from San Francisco…

I actually liked them as a band (well, I only knew the one song). I never knew they were hearthtrob fodder - for GIRLS!. Same with Eric Carmen, with or without The Raspberries.

Eric Carmen managed to sneak classic music (Rachmaninoff) into the pop charts, so he gets real cred. :slight_smile: Hey, I also liked Davy Jones. The upside of the fact that I lived in the boonies meant I never knew what I was supposed to like or not like. The downside was, one time I bought a TB, thinking it was a serious music magazine. I didn’t realize I was most definitely NOT their target audience.

Legend is that they threw a couple of darts at a map of the U.S. to pick an American-sounding name (they were from Edinburgh), and the second dart hit Bay City, Michigan.

Too bad it didn’t hit Intercourse, Pennsylvania.

They haven’t come home yet.

Lol, you put 2,000 Carpenters fans in a room, I may be #1… according to my Spotify Wrapped:

Imgur

Actual proof I did my research! :laughing:

Today is the 40th anniversary of Karen’s passing. RIP to the greatest voice in pop history.

Always been a fan. Close To You was one of the songs that was sung at our wedding.

I can’t believe I’m just now seeing this thread. That is some of the best writing I’ve seen in a long time.

Despite primarily playing rock and roll for most of my life, I’ve always adored the Carpenters, especially Karen’s angelic voice. My parents loved the Carpenters so I was fortunate to hear them all through my childhood. One piece that few seem to ever mention is their Burt Bacharach medley, which always sends chills through me. The vocal arrangements on that is astounding.

Recently, I found this cover of Superstar performed by Leonid and Friends. It is the first time I’ve ever heard another singer capture the magic of her vocals is a seemingly effortless way. I encourage you to check it out.

Again, thanks so much to JohnT for this absolutely wonderful tribute to her talent.

My older sisters listened to the Carpenters, Bread and Simon and Garfunkel til I developed a distaste for them all.
I’ve learned to appreciate them better later. Dang, I know all the words to all the songs!

Any thread that mentions both Randolph Mantooth and The Bay city Rollers is my most favorite thread!

First I saw this thread. Well done, @JohnT. I enjoyed every word (and a huge Karen C. fan). My belated thanks!

I’m one of the lease sentimental people you’ll ever come across, but any time I hear or see Karen Carpenter I lose it. Apparently I’m not the only one.