The Cerne Abbas Homer Simpson

Fortunately, he’s accompanied by a doughnut and not the Cerne Abbas Giant’s equipment.

It’s advertising for the movie. According to the story, the local pagans are praying for rain to wash away the biodegradable paint.
It’s more than a bit insensitive. Would Americans stand for an inflatable Homer on Mount Rushmore?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007320865,00.html

Unfortunately, while I can see it causing a bit of a flap, I could see it happening.

With the National Park Service being strapped for cash, and all. And it’s mother needing the kidney operation, it would be understandable.

I’m not sure it’s really equivalent to Mount Rushmore. I don’t really know of any American landmarks i’d consider equivalent, though. But then that could just be because i’m not really bothered about the thing in the first place.

If Mount Rushmore had a large erect penis on it, then it might be equivalent.

How about a doughnut?

Is the presence of the doughnut a comment on the phallus?

Not sure what the fuss is about. Cerne Abbas Man has a disputed history at best and it’s hardly an ancient monument. Well ok, it is…but you know what I mean. :wink:

I’ve been lobbying for that for years. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, what do you mean? Do you mean it’s not ancient because it requires ongoing maintenance?

Well, there are several conflicting theories as to the age of the figure. MysteriousBritain states that the earliest written record of the Cerne Abbas giant is in 1751, but mentions that this does not mean that the figure couldn’t date from much earlier and states that the theory most supported by historians is that the figure dates to around AD 180-193. The Wikipedia article on the Cerne Abbas giant, however, states that it is unlikely to be more than 400 years old, seeing as the Uffington white horse, which the article calls “unquestionably prehistoric”, is mentioned in several medieval texts, while the giant is not. This site talks about the figure being maintained since “at least the second millennium BC.” There are also several different theories as to what or who the figure is supposed to represent; Hercules, some Celtic god, an unruly abbot, Oliver Cromwell… So to call it an ancient pagan fertility symbol isn’t really going on 100% proven and accurate information.

Sure, but zelie zelerton mentioned the disputed history, then went on to talk about it being ancient/not ancient - as if there is some factor in mind independent of the disputed origin.

The Cerne Abbas giant is naked and holding a club - Homer is dressed and holding a doughnut. The doughnut references the club.

I think it is funny - but will be happy for the rain to wash it away.

Si

Knowing how sensitive the US broadcasting companies about these matters, has any American TV channel dared to show this picture, or for that matter, any newspaper ?

Matters such as cartoon characters parodying old chalk figures that aren’t interesting to drive past even compared to the rest of Dorset?

No, I was talking about the “explicit image” of the giant, especially after all the fuss that was generated about Miss Jackson’s breast.

I was referring to the fact that it was monument. :wink:

I love this quote from the article:

A good summary. The consensus these days is that it was, in fact, probably first carved in the second century, and represents a local Celtic god (exact identity unknown) equated to the Roman Hercules, whose iconography it uses. R. Castleden used a “resistivity meter” (whatever that is) to note a “lost” cloak, presumably the Nemean lionskin, and to note that there used to be a navel and a slightly shorter phallus. There is still a substantial minority that holds for a post-medieval origin, for the reasons given above (though there are several medieval textual references to the presence of a god Helith and variants in Cerne).

I hate to think about where Homer intends to toss that doughnut. :smiley:

Archeological work by the University of Reading dates the similar Long Man of Wilmington to the same period, 16th/17th century. Perhaps there was simply a craze back then for ancient-looking chalk figures? I reckon they just made them for a laugh, nothing to do with Cromwell or Heracles or what have you.