The "Certified Guitar Player" list.

Yeah, jeez. It¡s not like he was advertising his services as some sort of certification body or proposing some sort of ISO standard. It was for fun!

Of course the list of guitarists of his style, that he knew, liked, played with and respected is going to be short and selective. It’s the entire point.

Unrelated: YouTube dished up this video of Roy Clark as a guest on an episode of the Odd Couple. Worth the watch, especially the the flamenco-inspired piece at the end that he manages to do flatpicked.

Roy tearing it up on multiple instruments.

That’s where I was when I saw his name on the list. (The “Smokey and the Bandit” guy.) And then I watched some of the videos of Reed playing guitar provided in this thread. Wow, he could really play. :eek:

I only know 2 of those 5. Tommy Emmanuel, and Jerry Reed. Tommy is talented beyond belief, imho, but he lacks soul and should stay away from the Blues. A much more well rounded player by comparison, again imho, would be Jorma Kaukonen- one of my favorites.

What ever happened with Stanley Jordan. It seemed like he was everywhere in the eighties and then just disappeared.

Can Chet Atkins create a list of guitar players so great that he himself can not make the list?

n/m

Oh hell yes.

I only knew Tommy and Jerry.

I knew Jerry Reed was a bad ass from when I was a kid, only heard of Tommy Emanuel in the last few years.

I think the C.G.P. thing is great fun between friends that respect each other.

I’ve seen another version of this, used less formally.
The band leader usually is an older dude, hires the players, and substitutes, usually younger guys payin their dues.

The players he “certifies” are the ones he gives nicknames too.
It’s kind of a mentor/apprentice thing.

I’ve seen Tommy Emmanuel live a few times, including once when he supported Eric Clapton back in the '90s.

He was (not sure if he is still active) an extraordinary talent.

How the holy fuck does taht guitar not just burst into flames at the end of that?

(thank you)

I don’t know - I assume he still plays out, but I am not regularly checking club calendars. His two-handed style was so fresh at the time, and is truly musical not just a stunt.

Jerry Reed was a virtuoso guitarist. He (much like another great guitar player, Roy Clark) allowed his talents as a comedian and comic actor to overshadow his guitar playing, but he was a great guitarist.

Absolutely. Setzer sometimes lets the hair and clothing and stage antics and genuine ability as a singer overshadow his ability, but he’s a rock and roll rarity – a real all-around musician who can sit in with jazz guys when he wants to, write out a chart, read a chart, and play pretty much anything.

I’ve always liked his playing, ever since he was playing in bar bands in my neck of the woods.

Tommy is still very active. Has his own freakin’ TED talk. On places like the Acoustic Guitar Forum, he is held up as one of the best working players - folks start a thread about getting too see him for the first time, and others give them tips and geek with them about seeing the Master. Some folks whinge (he’s Aussie, seems proper to use the word ;)) about his playing being too precise and lacking soul. I find I can take his level of virtuosity for only a few songs in the best of circumstances - but that’s true of Art Tatum and other super-dense players, too, and not a comment on Tommy’s “soulfulness.” I don’t think of him as an acoustic Yngwie or anything.

Thanks for that, WordMan, very interesting. Glad to hear Tommy is still active - it’s me who isn’t! Life and kids now take up my time; not concerts or other music-related pursuits.

And yes, “whinge” was an entirely appropriate word to use in the circumstances:)

Hey - I got it right! :wink:

I did a search on “Emmanuel” on the Acoustic Guitar Forum and there were 172 threads that came back. Oy! Many with video clips, or discussing how the poster views Tommy as one of the greats.

His clips are all over YouTube, too. Performances, interviews and lessons - the whole enchilada.