The "Certified Guitar Player" list.

Apparently there are five guitar players designated as “certified guitar players”:

I am curious what you think of this list.

I am not familiar with some of these guitarists; I will have to do some listening.

Was Jerry Reed really that good of a guitarist?

I haven’t heard of a single one of these guys. Any list like this is inherently pointless.

Absolutely. Jerry played with Chet many times (tv) and held his own. Note for note.

His guitar playing sometimes got over shadowed by his affinity for novelty songs like When You’re Hot You’re Hot.

I’d guess everyone on that list played with Chet and impressed him.

I think all those guys played a similar style as Chet.

I’m surprised Roy Clark didn’t make the list. He played that style too.

Chet was one of the first to totally incorporate bass, melody, and rhythm into his playing. A one man band on a guitar.

People heard the records and thought several guys were playing. Then you’d see Chet on a tv show playing solo. Quite a shock.

Leo Kottke is a modern day example.

I doubt he ever played with Chet. Too big an age gap.

I appreciate the tremendous talent that these guitar players have. I’ve never liked listening to full albums. The entire focus of the music is, “look at me, see how well I play the guitar”.

It’s like going to a piano recital. Soloists are impressive but I just lose interest after 20 mins.

I find bands with vocals more interesting to hear.

Sleepwalk - Chet Atkins & Leo Kottke. Kottke was a babyish 42 at the time.

Chet in his prime. He had incredible skills. The rhythm guitar player behind him looks bored out of his mind. His biggest challenge is to play very softly and not take the focus away from Chet.

Jerry Reed was absolutely that good of a guitarist: Jerry Reed And Chet Atkins Jerrys Breakdown - YouTube Here he is dueling with Chet.

I have commented on CGP’s in the past. Chet Atkins is a guitar god and was deeply respected. His anointing someone as a CGP was an indication of his arrogance, but everyone knew it was deserved and players wore the badge with pride.

That’s the one I’d hoped you’d post. Great stuff. Of particular note, look at Jerry’s technique. He tucks his index finger out of the way and uses the other three fingers. I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone else do that.

ETA: check out Chet sweep picking about half way through. That always blows the metal kids’ minds.

Yeah, he’s clearly self taught but it works for him! And don’t you love the pairing of a nylon string with an electric? And Chet’s use of metal-shredder sweep picking and then smirking when Jerry laughs incredulously? Good stuff.

By the way, folks like Mark Knopfler and Brian Setzer would be modern versions of CGP’s. Just super versatile across genres and capable of fingerstyle bass lines and melodies.

Julian Lage. Guthrie Govan. John 5.

No shit. That list is pathetically outdated. Obviously Chet Atkins isn’t alive anymore to add to it, but he died in 2001 so all that his statement proves to me is that he was not really keeping up to date on music. Rory Gallagher, Terry Kath, Peter Green, all around during Chet Atkins’ life and not deserving of the award?

Glen Campbell and Roy Clark Ghost Riders in the Sky. Incredible playing. Roy is still alive.

On that note, check out the duet album Neck and Neck, with Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler trading licks like two seasoned pros.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re all fingerstyle guitarists, unlike some mentioned upthread, and their playing comes from the style of Merle Travis (bum-chick, bum-chick), unlike Kottke.

At the risk of sounding ignorant - and not trying to diminish the skill - isn’t this basically what competent banjo players do?
mmm

Banjo’s a different critter, but Reed’s technique there makes use of open strings much the way banjo players do. I think Chet’s the one who developed it in this kind of playing.

I am a huge Peter Green fan, but no, he’s not the type of player who would end up on this list. It’s about fingerstyle versatility across multiple genres. Peter Green was a brilliant blues lead player but is not Mark Knopfler.

I think you’re missing the point of CGP. Chet was the dean of Nashville Guitarists and came up with this moniker. Because Chet was Chet freakin’ Atkins his “award” is still discussed to this day.

My suggestions of Knopfer, Lage, Govan was simply to point out that deeply technical guitar ambassadors still exist.

MMM - I can’t comment on Reed’s playing vs. great banjo playing. I just see an incredibly fluid player.

Does Richard Thompson belong on that list?

That’s a great video. There’s a whole generation of people who think of Jerry Reed as a cornpone actor who appeared in films like Smokey and the Bandit. Shame.