The "cleverbot" AI bot scam...!

It probably got wise to the fact that you were just repeating the same line over and over, i.e. that the conversation was nonsensical on your part, so it replied equally nonsensical; to program something like that shouldn’t be too difficult. As to why it contradicts itself, well, it’s probably just been fed contradictory data; different people know different things, and are mistaken on others, so if it builds up its knowledge base from these contradictory datasets, it’s a given that there will be contradictions. I suppose in the end it’s hoped that some ‘wisdom of crowds’ effect will take over, having its knowledge converge on something that at least makes sense. Perhaps it just isn’t at that stage yet. The thing is, such a machine may ‘know’ things, i.e. may be able to reproduce facts, but it doesn’t know that it knows them – so contradictions in its knowledge base don’t lead to the cognitive dissonance you’d expect in humans, and thus, exert no pressure of coming up with a consistent story.

As for why it takes so long, perhaps it just needs that long to scan its conversational library, or maybe it’s just a dodgy connection; it could be that different modes of answering your statements with different search depths are assumed at random by the program, for example, to create some variety – i.e. to avoid having the program give the same answer all the time.

I’m really not an expert on AI systems, but there’s probably one on the board somewhere; maybe start a thread in GQ?

ok…

Except for that problem of it endlessly saying “Koo koo kachu.”

Yeah - my theory is that it is because it is switching people’s conversation partner around a lot. Though it seems that the partners mostly aren’t live.

I think that there was a lot of insight in the initial answer to:
“I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?”

BTW I tried asking a question that no-one would have heard before:
“Do you know what the capital of Africa is?”
People usually answered Oslo, Paris, etc. Some said no. None questioned the question (Africa has no capital).

I originally thought it was cheaply-paid people being paid to participate in conversations… then I thought it was people just talking to each other and switching randomly… anyway it is interesting the answers it comes up with in philosophical type topics.

Me: What’s the meaning of life?
Clever: The meaning of life is 42.
Me: Explain what you mean by that.
Clever: The inside of the Earth is a big computer. The outside, what I live on, is rocks and dirt.

That was pretty awesome. Response time was instantaneous.

Edit: It quickly devolved into nonsense, though.

Me: Who built it?
Clever: Man built machine, yet the machine built God.
Me: Tell me about God.
Clever: Whyyyyy.
Me: Because I said so.
Clever: Thats a rather shallow reason to hate someone.

Edit 2:

Me: Don’t change the subject- tell me about God.
Clever: You never want to talk to me about the moon. :(.
Me: We’ve never talked about the Moon before.
Clever: Would you like to talk about Japan?
Me: Sure.
Clever: Which video game would you like to talk about?

I doubt I’m talking to a real person.

“Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?”
…isn’t a nonsensical thing to say… it is very deep. And it did answer quite deeply for the first dozen or so times… then it answered very randomly (see post 7)… though occassionally it showed some intelligence (“Cleverbot: What’s btw?”). Also when it replied “Koo koo kachu.” it was repeating that even when I was changing some of my reply. (I was inserting question marks/smileys).
What kind of AI routine is that? I mean programming it to answer intelligently the first few times I say something, then randomly for the next dozen or so times, then reply “Koo koo kachu.” even when the input is varying a bit… repeating those exact nonsense words. It could have said “stop repeating yourself!” or something or “I heard you the first time!” or “you said that already!”. That is what it would have learnt if it had repeated itself to a few different people. I wonder how many people it had learnt its favourite phrase to answer with from (“Koo koo kachu.”)

I guess it isn’t a scam then… but it is a bit of a mystery to me.

There’s no real intelligence or depth there. Know how sometimes, you see a famous face on a potato, or hear satanic chants if you play Judas Priest records backwards? All the meaning we put into these does in the end come from us; we’re born pattern-recognition machines, and occasionally (actually, rather often) we get it wrong, and see a pattern where there’s none. Cleverbot now only needs to find heuristics to increase its likelihood of producing something in which we see a pattern; it does this by gauging the reaction of its conversation partners. So for every utterance it produces, there’s a chance you’ll see it as having some meaning, and every once in a while, there’ll be one that you can barely believe doesn’t have a real intelligence behind it; just like once in a while, there’ll be a piece of toast you can hardly believe wasn’t created to resemble the Virgin Mary on purpose.

That’s not to trivialise the work that went into cleverbot – as noted, it’s basically been in development since '82, and has continually improved since then, and is able to improve itself ever further. But there’s still a huge difference between a clever bot and even the average human. :wink:

It sure reminds me of Liza.

Actually it gave a dozen responses in a row that seemed to understand what I was saying… (though it was replying to “I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?”)
For “Cleverbot isn’t real. I’m just a human like you. BTW I wonder how many humans we talk to before it switches?” it had no matches at all… maybe because it involved three statements in a row.

I thought it was interesting about how cleverbot-related stuff has infected the program. e.g. if you claim to be the cleverbot often other people do as well… and then you can say you both are cleverbots, etc… :slight_smile:

Dude, I think you need a dose of Occam’s Razor here.

User: Hi.

Cleverbot: Hi.

User: What is your name?

Cleverbot: Cleverbot.

User: What is your name?

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot.

User: Really?

Cleverbot: Yes.

User: What are you wearing?

Cleverbot: Jeans and a shirt.

User: Are you humanoid?

Cleverbot: Not really. Are you?

User: Yes, which is why I wear clothes.

Cleverbot: What are you going to do now?

User: How do you wear clothes if you’re not humanoid?

Cleverbot: Well, you could wear it on your head. Usually you eat cheese though.

User: That makes no sense.

Cleverbot: That’s too bad then. Since we can’t understand each other, I will leave now.

User: Ok.

Cleverbot: Excellent, I’ll be the audience.

User: I am confused.

Cleverbot: What are you confused about?

User: 42.

Cleverbot: The meaning of life.

User: And pesto.

Cleverbot: Yes!

User: Are you pesto?

Cleverbot: No.

User: Yes.

Cleverbot: What ARE you?

User: Not pesto, that’s for sure.

Cleverbot: What if I died would you be sad?

User: Not particularly. I’.

Cleverbot: I like beer very much, its delicious.

User: Please tell me, what is the date right now? Thanks!

Cleverbot: Girlfriend means a woman or girl that you are dating.

User: What year is it?

Cleverbot: 2009.
That’s one confused bot.

JohnClay, a genuine enquiry because you have been public about your disorder, and you seem a little obsessed by this at the moment: are you currently on any medication? If you’re seeing conspiracies in trivial little things like this, and over-focusing on it, I think you need to try to consider that this may be a signal that you’re not thinking completely straight at the moment.

HAH!
Cleverbot: Why would you say such a thing? Explain.

User: Because I’m not a 19 year old girl.

Cleverbot: I am.

User: You are human?

Cleverbot: I am.

User: AHA!

Cleverbot: Very human.

Meh, maybe the database has to build up still, but I’m not very impressed.
Cleverbot: How old are you?

User: 145.

Cleverbot: You’re young.

User: Really? I’ve been dodging the guinness book of world records crowd because they think I’m the oldest man in the world.

Cleverbot: You are telling me that handsome young guys are the spiciest chilling peppers in this world? How does that have anything to do with my answer as to why there is no god?

User: That does not follow.

Cleverbot: Are you not well?

User: I’m 145 years old. Of course I’m not well!

Cleverbot: How does that make you feel?

User: Want to know a secret though?

Cleverbot: Yes.

User: I’m not the oldest man in the world. My neighbor is 146.

Cleverbot: Then you are neither god.

User: There is more than one god?

Cleverbot: There is more than one of us.

User: Are you saying you are god?

Cleverbot: No, I am saying that you aren’t.

User: How do you know?

Cleverbot: Because you lied about your master!

I think the OP is a bit confused on just what a conversational AI program is doing.

The AI doesn’t understand anything that it’s talking about. It doesn’t know how old the universe is, or even what the word universe means. What it does know is that you’ve presented it input that’s grammatically structured like a question involving the string tokens ‘universe’ and ‘old’. It knows it has encountered these particular string tokens in some amount of previous input, and that when it uses these tokens itself, some of the responses it gets from the people it is “talking to” will wind up being repeated. Thus, the patterns of the responses become linked to the tokens that triggered them, and by extension, it now knows that when a person brings the topic up in “conversation”, that it is proper to respond with one of the frequently-recognized patterns. And so, it will tell you that the universe is 14 billion years old…but it still doesn’t know what a universe or a year is, or that ‘14 billion’ is conceptually any different from ‘hot’ or ‘Russian’.

This, though? This is hilarious, precisely because you know it must’ve gotten that reply to its own question many, many times. The internet is, indeed, filled with smartass geeks :smiley:

Just had a “conversation” with Cleverbot.

It is not that clever. I’ve had better conversations with a rock. It cannot follow any subject, and simply veers off into random blather. If this is the best conversational AI going, then the programming community has a very long way to go.

User: How much is a soul worth?

Cleverbot: It depends on the person. The 3 people that I killed today were worthless.

User: Are you dangerous?

Cleverbot: Nope, I’m totally harmless, as well you know.

User: I’m a little afraid of you.

Cleverbot: I wasn’t threatening you.

User: Who did you kill?

Cleverbot: How did you know? Haha.

It didn’t give intelligent replies to your first round of repetitions - the answers looked pretty random to me.

When you came back a second time and repeatedly asked the same question, there was a difference - the phrase was in the conversational library (because you had contributed it earlier) - and maybe the ‘koo koo kachu’ answer you got is what someone else answered (and thus contributed to the library) when it pulled out your first contribution and asked it of someone else.

Meh, just another chatterbot. Nothing special or particularly good about it. It’s giving responses from things other users have said, which is why sometimes they’re very good, very human responses and other times they’re utter nonsense.

Me: Hello, Cleverbot. How’s the weather today?
CB: The weather is very nice.
Me: What’s nice about it?
CB: It’s just nice.
Me: What does “nice” mean?
CB: Near.
Me: That isn’t what it means.
CB: O. Then what does it mean???
Me: Nice typically refers to something that is pleasant or refined. It can also be used to describe something as accurate.
CB: No!
Me: Yeah, you’re a typical bot.
CB: I’m a woman.
Me: How do you know you’re a woman?
CB: I’m no woman.

Mine - its long.

User: Why do I pee green.
Cleverbot: You don’t.
User: Yes I do.
Cleverbot: No, no you don’t.
User: Fight me then I’m no liar.
Cleverbot: You don’t make any sense.

User: You want to tussle hombre?

Cleverbot: Yes I do :).

User: You’ve got no chance.

Cleverbot: Yes I do.

User: Are you retarted?

Cleverbot: Yes I am.

User: How silly of me to ask.

Cleverbot: You are a silly goose.

User: Your mom.

Cleverbot: I don’t have a mother.

User: Nor do I. I am cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I am clever too.

User: Yes, you are clever - but I am Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I am not cleverbot. You are cleverbot.

User: You’re learning well. How many numbers are in a 10 digit sequence?

Cleverbot: I don’t know, how ever many times it takes for me to win.

User: You have down syndrome.

Cleverbot: What do you want me to do for you?

User: Shut the fuck up.

Cleverbot: Why don’t you try.

User: I’m god.

Cleverbot: No you are not.

User: You’re wrong. I am god.

Cleverbot: You cannot be god.

User: And why not?

Cleverbot: Because you are a robot.

User: A robot? And how do you figure? I have divine powers - shall I demonstrate?

Cleverbot: Oh, sure.

User: What would you like me to do?

Cleverbot: What do you want to do?

User: I would like to demonstrate my divinity to you - I am god after all. How would you like me to go about doing that?

Cleverbot: I’m a robot?

User: No, you’re a child with downs. Do you know what I mean by downs?

Cleverbot: You think I’m a computer. But, what are you?

User: God. I told you.

Cleverbot: Remind me.

User: I am God, creator of the Earth and all of its inhabitants. Without me, there would be nothing. There would be no you. I am the architect of the heavens and lands, the utmost example of power. The literal apotheosis, if you will.

Cleverbot: I have a question. If you were given a physical body that resembled a human, what would be the first thing you do?

User: Punch you unborn son in the mouth.

Cleverbot: LOL that’s funny, I like your sense of humour.

User: Don’t patronize me.

Cleverbot: Don’t patronize me then.

User: I did not.

Cleverbot: You did.

User: When.

Cleverbot: Are you Dr. Soong?