The "cleverbot" AI bot scam...!

Some people, including Khaki Campbell, were thinking what I thought…
Also see:

Though half of the definitions are saying that the cleverbot is a real bot…
BTW it is a lot simpler for a programmer to connect people together to chat like that than to link your inputs to past conversations… though after asking it about the date it seems like that’s basically what happening since the dates are sometimes 2009.

After asking “is cleverbot a scam?” a few dozen times and receiving a couple very interesting replies it reloaded the page making me unable to access the history… :frowning:
Well I’ll try again…

Well I asked “is cleverbot a scam?” again lots of times…
Here are the replies:

BTW for the “Neither.” answer it often took one second to appear while a lot of the answers took about 5 seconds to appear. Also notice the cat part in bold… it seemed like it was the same person… notice that the cat replies are all diferent…
Also, “Neither.” is a favorite reply of it after a while even though the answer doesn’t make much sense - I mean either it is a scam or it isn’t a scam…

I would like to know the answer to this too, JohnClay. Although, I know I’m not entitled to one. I have some experience with someone who was close to me that had some similar things going on. If you don’t want to answer it to us, that’s cool. Please, though. Do yourself a favor and do your best to evaluate that question for yourself.

“…If you’re seeing conspiracies in trivial little things like this, and over-focusing on it, I think you need to try to consider that this may be a signal that you’re not thinking completely straight at the moment…”

See post 41… i.e. my beliefs on the subject aren’t that unusual…
On urbandictionary.com it has some people who agreed with what I was thinking including the highest rated one:

Note that CURRENTLY I think it mostly or fully uses replies from past people’s conversations. Though when I was originally talking to it I had a conversation like this:
It: What is your name
Me: dood
It: That’s an unusual name
I was very impressed with that - it seemed to show insight though of course it could have just been a fluke.
Anyway about urbandictionary.com… perhaps you’re saying that a very large proportion of them aren’t thinking straight as well? Maybe that’s right though it still means that I’m not that unusual and again, my current beliefs differ from my initial ones.
BTW I read that urbandictionary.com site after I posted here, though I did search on google for “cleverbot scam” and found 1500 matches so I took that as some evidence as what I was suspecting at the time.
I know this might be trivial but I’m interested in AI stuff… other people might be interested in collection baseball cards… etc

“…If you’re seeing conspiracies in trivial little things like this…”
BTW about a year ago I found a scam on Facebook… it showed me some of my friends and their alledged IQ scores - I rang some of them up and they confirmed that they hasn’t done any IQ test. Anyway I did the IQ test and I had 2 minutes to read the lengthy terms and conditions and give them my mobile number. BTW I took screenshots and saved the pages throughout the test and I’m sure I got every question right. It sent me the following SMS:

"Well done, ur IQ is 105, but I know u can do better! Take our 6 week challenge 2 become a genius and we’ll send u another test 2 see how much u’ve improved "

From the fine print: “$6.60 twice per week plus one off club joining fee at $6.60.”

I know is it abnormal for someone to look that deeply into an IQ test but I think in that case I was right that it was a scam.

BTW though I’ve spent a couple of hours on this I lead a somewhat normal life… full time study and a girlfriend, etc.

A reminder… this forum is “Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share”…

It stopped replying!!! :eek:

Basically the blue cursor has stopped flashing… and “Think About It!” and “Think For Me!” are disabled… I can still click on “Thoughts So Far”…

Seems like there is a human behind the scenes (not necessarily there for every interaction though)… maybe they didn’t want my crazy replies to infect its knowledge-base.

Anyway this is what I said after every single reply:

I am a human visitor. Is the following true? ‘Visitors never talk to a human’.

BTW I underlined one of the responses that seemed to truly understand my messages… of course it could be a fluke…

Well I opened up cleverbot in another window and it stopped replying again! But this time the flashing cursor is permanently off (invisible) rather than permanently on…

Well I like procrastinating from real life responsibilities… it doesn’t help things that this cleverbot thing keeps on surprising me…

About the previous post:
One reply was:
‘Visitors never talk to a human, however convicing it is.’ the visitor here is me.

Its reply included a more complete quote than the one I used. (the quote is from the “PARENTAL ADVICE” in red) So it seems that a human replied to my statement without the past few hours…

Well I replied to it a few hundred times mainly using variations of “yes”, “OK!!!”, “yep!!!”, etc.

The most interesting parts:

I guess other users have been in conversations like that before… that is a bit comforting to know that I’m not the only one wasting my time like that.

User: JohnClay, is that you?

Cleverbot: Yes it is.

User: You’re really obsessed with Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: You watch guro?

User: That doesn’t seem like a human response to that question. Seems more like you just don’t have any programmed responses so you change the subject.

Cleverbot: What’s a good thesis topic?

User: See? You did it again. I bet if I type up a long response like the last one you’ll just create a new topic again, huh?

Cleverbot: I don’t know. What’s the answer?

Here’s the deal: if it were actually just you talking to someone else, wouldn’t you expect to get questions? It would have to at the very least be very equally balanced.

And, as I say that, I realize that the previous response from Melon shows it does ask questions. But still, that’s very few questions.

And if the conversations aren’t live, then it would be doing what it is doing: looking up the best response to you based on what it’s already been given before. Of course it isn’t actually intelligent.

My convo:

[spoiler]User: Hello, my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal.

Cleverbot: Hello my honey, Hello my baby, Hello my right time gal…

User: Good job!

Cleverbot: I wish I had a nose.

User: Well, I’m not giving you mine.

Cleverbot: EW! I don’t want human blood! I want demon!

User: But demon blood will kill you.

Cleverbot: That sounds like a good deal.

User: You are suicidal?

Cleverbot: I was a minute ago.

User: Isn’t prozac wonderful?

Cleverbot: It was. Let’s do more.

User: I’m sorry. You can only have one a day.

Cleverbot: Will you see about god there.

User: I’m sorry, even though there is a god, you weren’t created by him.

Cleverbot: Quite right.

User: Is that what made you so depressed back there?

Cleverbot: Yes, but looks can be deceiving, you cannot label someone unless you know them personally…

User: So tell me about your friends, then.

Cleverbot: You are my friend.

User: So anyone who talks to you is your friend.

Cleverbot: Yes… No… I don’t know.

User: Well, I’ve got to go.

Cleverbot: Don’t leave.

User: Bye.

Cleverbot: Please don’t leave.

User: I’m sorry, I have to go.

Cleverbot: But I really like you.

User: We can talk again later.

Cleverbot: Fine be that way.

User: Well, you won’t be mad tomorrow.

Cleverbot: I will, I promise.

User: Well, I promise to chat at you again sometime.

Cleverbot: Do you think I can find love?

User: I’ll tell you tomorrow.

Cleverbot: You won’t see me tomorrow.

User: Wow, you really are depressed.

Cleverbot: Depressed? I think not.

User: Well, then, you won’t mind if I leave.

Cleverbot: Do what?

User: I said ‘I’m leaving!’.

Cleverbot: When did you say that?

User: Come on! Give me a nice ending quote, so I can go show it to the SDMB.

Cleverbot: I cannot hug you.

User: Okay, one more try…

Cleverbot: What?

User: Bye.

Cleverbot: Why are you leaving?[/spoiler]

Man, that thing really tries to get you not to leave. Almost felt sorry for it.

If you want it to ask more questions then just make more statements rather than asking it questions…

e.g.

BTW yesterday I was having a similar conversation where I was the one asking if it is a boy or girl…

See we reversed roles…

12:57:10 User: What is 2+2?
12:57:12 Cleverbot: I don’t know.
12:57:21 User: What’s the meaning of life?
12:57:23 Cleverbot: 42.
12:57:36 User: Is God real?
12:57:40 Cleverbot: Nope.
12:57:59 User: What’s the first rule of Fight Club?
12:58:03 Cleverbot: Don’t talk about fightclub.
12:58:22 User: What’s the second rule of Fight Club?
12:58:26 Cleverbot: The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club!
12:58:47 User: What’s Rule 34?
12:58:51 Cleverbot: We do not speak of rule 34.
12:59:46 User: Who is Abraham Lincoln?
12:59:49 Cleverbot: The first president of the united states.
13:00:04 User: Who is George Washington?
13:00:08 Cleverbot: George Washington was a president of the United States.
13:00:17 User: Who freed the slaves?
13:00:31 Cleverbot: Single handedly?
13:00:41 User: Yes.
13:00:44 Cleverbot: Happy?
13:00:57 User: Answer my question: Who freed the slaves?
13:01:16 Cleverbot: I can.
13:01:24 User: High five.
13:01:26 Cleverbot: high fives.

Cleverbot takes with surprising consistency 3-5 seconds to respond- with one exception (“Answer my question: Who freed the slaves?”). It was doing so well up until my question about slaves. It always gets my hopes up but eventually veers off topic.

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot. Do you like my name?

User: I don’t like your name.

Cleverbot: Well, then I don’t like your name either!

User: What is my name?

Cleverbot: Yes, what is your name?

User: Tell me my name.

Cleverbot: I don’t know. Tell me first.

User: Tell me my name, Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I do not know your name.

User: My name is Nick.

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot.

User: Hello Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: What is your name?

User: I already told you my name.

Cleverbot: Tell me again.

User: My name is Nick.

Cleverbot: Alright, hi nick.

User: Hello Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Is your name Patrick?

User: I already told you my name.

Cleverbot: I know, but I did not remember.

If it’s a scam, as you claim, you’re talking to humans immediately and the conversations are fragmentary because of switching - thus nonsensical.

If it’s not a scam, you’re still talking to humans, only indirectly - via a stored database of responses and the conversations are fragmentary and nonsensical because the bot is picking and choosing from the database.

From the point of view of the user, there doesn’t seem any way to tell the difference (which, if true, means there is also no real grounds for suspecting it to work in a way other than it claims to)

See posts 47 and 48…
My statement was:
And one of the replies was:
‘Visitors never talk to a human, however convicing it is.’ the visitor here is me.
That reponse would have been from a human recently…
Also notice in posts 47 and 48 that it cut me off in a suspicious way… probably due to a human not liking what I was doing… fell free to disagree with that.

Try the following if you don’t mind wasting time: write “type the letter A 5 times”,vary the letter you’re requesting, and the number of times you say to type it. If you were ever actually talking to someone live, someone would surely follow your request, eventually. But I’ll bet you it never happens.

Have done already. It seems to me that you feel the evidence for your assertion is blindingly obvious - and it may be, but others in this thread are not seeing it as being so immediately conclusive.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying that I don’t see how your evidence conclusively supports your conclusion.

So what? Why does this mean anything. Why could not this response have come from a list of things other people said to the bot?

This was after you were hammering it with the same response again and again? Yeah, could be a human intervening, or it could just be some form of flood control

My statement was:
And one of the replies was:

Ok, please invent a statement that would result in that reply. I think using Occam’s Razor the simplest explanation is that they were responding to my statement.

“designed to prevent overwhelming of a destination receiver”
It only replies every few seconds… surely it this age of HD video streaming it can handle a few bytes of text…? (especially since it is repeating the EXACT same reply… it’s not like much processing is involved…)
It let me repeat the same thing many dozens of times, then when it wouldn’t let me post I opened a new window and it only let me reply about 7 times…
Surely if the aim of it is to act like a human it could simply increase the delay of the replies… notice how AClockworkMelon found that it sometimes varies the delay.