The color blind crayola maker

So I just read top crayon maker for the past 37 years is color blind. The first thing that popped into my head was this imaginary conversation occurring for 37 years:

Crayon minion: How do you like this new color Emerson?

Emerson: Looks grey to me!

Crayon minion who mishears grey as great: Great! We’ll put it into production immediately!

That is not what color blindness is.

The directors of two different 3D movies were one-eyed (including the guy who did House of Wax).

I am sometimes amazed at the career choices some people have made, or have thrust upon them.

Possibly a crayon maker who was color blind wasn’t distracted by his personal preferences and relied more on intruments to determine color consistency and marketing results for preference. Once upon a time there were dye-masters whose talent for recognizing and comparing colors was the only way to maintain consistency in manufacturing. But 37 years ago colorimeters had supplanted this technique and produced greater consistency. The article also doesn’t specify his particular job. He could have been an engineer who specialized in wax molding processes unrelated to color.

But it is one of those interesting trivial tidbits of info.

Cool story. I wonder if Beethoven’s heard it.

The 8% figure usually includes anomalous trichromats, who often don’t even notice they are colorblind because their brain is able to compensate for almost everything, and only notice in limited situations.

I’m red-green colour blind, and yet have artistic pursuits. The first time I noticed my colour blindness becoming an issue was when doing Art at High School, and I couldn’t get flesh tones right, mine were coming through too pink, but to me they looked like a close match to real life. Turns out there’s a small amount of green tone to skin that tempers it from extreme pinkness (and possibly where the “green” look when you’re ill stems from).

It still interferes with my art; I struggle with getting accurate and pleasing shades of red, brown, and green tones. I don’t think I could ever be a good film colour grader even when using a vectorscope.

Argentinian artist Ciruelo Cabral is green-red colorblind: he keeps his pencils (or other paints, but he mostly uses pencil, or did when I met him a long time ago) in exact order, and his wife helps him when he has problems telling two apart.

I think it’s one of the reasons why his drawings look as gorgeous in full color as in greyscale: he focuses mainly on the shape of things, so if you take the color off it still looks great.