“Our love is God. Let’s go get a slushie.” Christian Slater-“Heathers”

Mine would be this…

“And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love
You make”

-The Beatles

Reoch

That reminds me of this line from a Wally Pleasant song.
“One night after dreaming about drinking hemlock I convinced myself that I was reincarnated from Socrates. The next morning I went to a psychic astrologer who told me that I was not reincarnated from Socrates, and that in all my past lives I was just as confused and boring as I am in this one.

For short and pithy I’ve always liked “all I know is that everything you know is wrong!”

“I hate quotes. Tell me what you know.”

-R.W. Emerson

“I’m am not tragically colored…I do not belong to the sobbing school of Negrohood who hold that nature somehow gave them a lowdown dirty deal and whose feelings are all hurt about it.”

-Zora Neale Hurston

“its easier and usually better to to get forgiven than ask for permission” -bernie ward who used ot be a talk radio host in sf ( i think kgo was the station)

“Familiarity breeds contempt…and children.” - Mark Twain

"Life is not so bad if you have plenty of luck, a good physique and not too much imagination. - Christopher Isherwood

“Fishing for a good time starts with throwing in your line.” - Tom Waits

The two in my sig, of course. And this one:

Father William saved her from the streets
She drank the lifeblood from the savior’s feet
She’s Sister Mary now, eyes as cold as ice
He takes her once a week on the alter like a sacrifice.

– “Spreading the Disease”, Operation: MindCrime, Queensryche

“Ere sin could blight, nor sorrow fade / Death came with friendly care. / The opening bud to Heaven conveyed, / And bade it blossom there.” - Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Epitaph on an Infant.

“Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, And whatever your labors and aspirations, In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.” - Max Ehrmann, excerpt from Desiderata.

“If I could put time in a bottle, the first thing that I’d like to do / Is to save everyday, till Eternity passes away, just to spend them with you.” Jim Croce, excerpt from Time in a Bottle.

“And wow! Hey! What’s this thing coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding word like… ow… ound… round… ground! That’s it! That’s a good name - ground!
I wonder if it will be friends with me?” - The Sperm Whale falling to its death, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

“Oh no, not again.” - The bowl of Petunias falling to its death, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

In fact, I could probably quote that whole damn book. - Me

I used to think of myself as being so wonderful when I came up with:
Those who do not read have no advantage over those who cannot read. Made it my sig for awhile.

Then I ran across: Those who do not read good books have no advantage over those who cannot read good books…Mark Twain.

sigh…what I get for not reading.

A couple more that I like:

If a man’s got the rhythm, stand back and let him dance!!..Patrick Argabright

“I have done my best” That is about all the philosophy of living that one needs…Lin-Yutang

Robert A. Heinlein

H.L. Mencken

and

Captain Combat, SCTV

Heh heh. You asked for it.
The Loch Ness Monster’s Song

Sssnnnwhuffffll?
Hnwhuffl hhnnwfl hnfl hlf?
Gdroblboblhobnglb gbl gl g g g g glblg.
Drublhaflblhaflubhafggabhafflhafl fl fl-
gm grawwwww grf grawf awfgm graw gm.
Hovoplodok-doplodovok-plovodokot-doplodokosh?
Splgraw fok fok splgraffhatchgabrlgabrl fok splfok!
Zgra kra gka fok!
Grof grawff gahf?
Gombl mbl bl-
blm plm,
blm plm,
blm plm,
blp.
-Edwin Morgan

(By the way, the above poem is supposed to be the Loch Ness monster surfacing to look for other dinosaurs. When it doesn’t find any, it swears, and then goes back underwater. I think it’s cool.)

And green and golden I was huntsman and herdsman, the calves
Sang to my horn, the foxes on the hills barked clear and cold,
And the sabbath rang slowly
In the pebbles of the holy streams.
-Dylan Thomas, Fern Hill
For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business.
- T.S. Eliot, East Coker
Actually, anything by T.S. Eliot or Dylan Thomas. Love them.

“Nothing is true, everything is permitted”
Hassan-i Sabbah

and also

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

and

“Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.”
Aleister Crowley

I thought it was “impudent snobs”, but then I’m just a nattering nabob of negativism.

OMG, I was totally gonna say that. Real Genius 4L

“Nuts!” —Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe, Bastogne, 1944

My favourite is the last lines from a Matthew Arnold poem, “Self Dependence”…

‘Resolve to be thyself, and know that he
Who finds himself, loses his misery’.

… in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.
Anne Frank

When I first read that it brought tears to my eyes.

I’ll go with the classics (besides my sig)

One ring to rule them all
One ring to find them
One ring to bring them all
And in the darkness, bind them.

-Tolkien