The coolest quote you know.

Whats the coolest quotation you know?

I personally like:

“There’s more to living than only surviving,
Maybe I’m not there but I’m still trying.”
-The Offspring.

So hit me with your favs but remember: it only counts if you can tell us who said it.

‘Round up the usual suspects’ - Claude Reins in Casablanca.

Got one:

“What would you do with just one more hour? Live that hour out everyday like it was your last. You’ll live much better that way.”

• From “Date with Destiny” by Pennywise

When it’s all said and done
It’s real and it’s been fun
But was it all real fun?
-Green Day

This was my senior quote in my high school yearbook. I like it, even if it is Green Day.

I heard this many years ago in an old NOVA program. I was very struck by the sentiment:

Animals are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time.

• Henry Beston

“Culture, born of society, eventually kills society.” - Andre Gide, The Immoralist

A man doesn’t automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it - Jack Handey
Only because I believe it.

-or-

Blow ye winds, Like the trumpet blows; But without that noise - Jack Handey
This one is best used when people are looking at you to make a profound statement. The quickly move away.

“If there is one sound that follows the march of human civilisation it is the scream”

-David Gemmell

“I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, “I drank what?””
-Chris Knight (Played by Val Kilmer in the classic “Real Genius”

“Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
Arthur C. Clarke

“You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud.”

-Wyatt (Peter Fonda) in Easy Rider

“Only Dead Fish Go With the Flow”

Not sure who said it…

You can’t run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy.

"What we have here is `Failure to Communicate’ "
Warden in Cool Hand Luke

"My friends,

"I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

"If when you say whiskey you mean the devil’s brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

"But;

"If when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman’s step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life’s great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

“This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.”

• Rep. Noah S. ‘Soggy’ Sweat Jr. 1952

The woods are lovely,
Dark and deep
But I have promises to keep

And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-----By Robert Frost, but used in the film Telefon. That quote was used to trigger deeply buried instructions for terrorist acts, implanted years before in “sleeper” agents.

Great film. Charles Bronson…

I also adore the entire poem, which is entitled, " Stopping By Woods On Snowy Eve "

Cartooniverse

Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020329.html

“Time wounds all heels!”
Dorothy parker

Hell, anything by Dorothy Parker!

‘Your President is NOT a crook’

• R. Nixon

(one bastard I have out-lived)

‘Effete corps of intellectual snobs’ (usually read as ‘effete snobs’)

• S. Agnew