The correct version of "me" in written communication

Maybe it’s just myself. :wink: Have you ever used the correct version of “me” on a message and thought “those idiots are going to think I’m wrong”?

Just wondering for myself.

That issue has never bothered myself.

I would not think you are wrong, but I might think that you are smugly thinking “those idiots are going to think I’m wrong”.

Me, I don’t worry about that stuff.

“If one were to speak proper English, to whom would one speak it?”

Those idiots would probably think you were using a translation program and had never actually used English in conversation.

What he said^

I didn’t know there was a correct version of me. I’d like to meet him sometime.

We are not amused. :wink:

Kids these days are too busy playing stupid games like Myselfcraft to study grammar.

The problem with using the word “me” bothers myself.

Well, we know what to get you for Christmas.

I like to effect a disingenuously incorrect affect by using the less-often encountered definitions of “effect” and “affect.”

The effect on my reader sometimes affects our conviviality, but what can you do?

I would certainly never imply that you were inferring anything unconvivial.

Interestingly (to me, at least) that use of “me” sounds grammatical to my ear, yet I don’t know why. “What, I worry?” sounds wrong.

I can guess that the more proper form is “What, would I worry?” But I don’t know why it seems acceptable to replace “would I” in the nominative case with “me” in the objective case.

Maybe there is no rule at all, and it’s just idiomatic. But I myself am curious.

It’s because “What, me worry?” is an elision of something, but exactly what is debatable.

If it’s “What? Are you saying I should worry?” then “me” is wrong.

But if it’s “What? You’re speaking of me? worrying?” then “me” is fine.

Yeah. I suppose the real “error” if it be so is that Alfred’s catchphrase rhetorical question should have been punctuated as

What? Me? Worry?

With the implied answer

Of course not!