The Court may finally force my neighbor to eat his own shit.

“When you get the case dropped, maybe you could host a big party for the entire neighborhood, right in your back yard. Just to have a party, not explicitly for anything in particular… just enough to make the point.”

Heh, when my daughter turned 2 we had a big party for her with her church friends and neighborhood kids. Bill turned all his lights on facing our yard and ran power tools trying to be a pain in the ass. We had to put boards up on the fence to block the glare. Anybody that had any doubts about him was pretty much convinced after that.

“I hope that you’ve gotten all the bizarre confrontations in your life behind you now, and can peacefully enjoy your wife and child the rest of the trip.”

smile Thanks World Eater. I thought this was true 2 years ago.

Everyone, thanks for your concern. When John told me the Court was realizing what a tool this guy is, it was just a very comforting and needed relief, regarless of the fact we still could go to trial.

Christ, I don’t think I would have handled it as well as you did, lieu. I don’t respond real well to being assaulted, and that’s exactly what he was doing by tapping you on the chest with a tire iron.

You’re a good man, and I trust you’ll make it through this and be vindicated.

The thread title made me believe this was going to be like the guy forced to sleep in the doghouse…carry on.

Good Luck man. I hope he gives up and moves himself.

Keep us posted lieu. Can you sue him for malicious prosecution, or killing your shrubs?

Well yikes, yikes, yikes. Your OP has got me pretty perturbed. This guy is just cunning enough to manipulate the system against you, and yet he seems to be running no risk himself. No countersuit for bringing these frivolous charges in the first place, no attempted murder charge for trying to run down your daughter, no assualt charge for shaking a tire iron at you. Even if you get off in court, you still lose for the aggravation, emotional damage and money you’ve spent. At least nobody’s physically hurt. Yet.

This guy is a crazy bastard, as you know. You need to move. Until you move, you need to install security cameras everywhere, running constantly, in hopes of recording the true events in case you’re ever forced into a confrontation again.

But it’s not about beating the bastard, it’s about staying alive. He’s clearly dangerous and crazy, but smart enough to stay a free man. Defending yourself and your family from him should be your highest priority.

And please forgive me, an internet stranger, for offering advice to you. But your story has got me quite riled up, and I really feel for you and your family. Crazy dangerous people truly suck.

Damn what a horrible neighbor. I hope it all works out for you and this guy gets his.

Good luck, man.
What a lousy, lousy situation.
Not much worse than feeling threatened in your own home when you’ve doing nothing wrong.
What a no-win situation. You could either pop the guy, risk getting whacked with a tire-iron, or walk away and let him figure he could walk all over you and yours.
I really hope the best for you. Remember, there are no guarantees in court. Don’t let your guard down too early.
Sounds like you have a great attitude as far as what is important.

zoinks!

What a lunatic. What on earth will happen when he finally snaps?
:eek:

Best of luck to you and yours, lieu.

Do you have a dog?

Lieu, it would be much more appropriate, seeing as you’re “Lieu” and all, to make him eat YOUR shit (provided you can get him to your place of employment, of course!):wink:

Good luck in court.

To emphasize an important point from the OP: Some friends of mine who have had some … unfortunate… incidents have a motto: Call the cops first. No matter what went down, or who did what to whom first, whoever calls the cops first has first dibs on innocence.

Although you might not have any legal option there may be the possibility to sue this assclown in civil court for aggravation, stress, defamation, and the monies you’ve paid to clear your name.

Maybe you could hit him hard enough in the pocketbook that he’d have to sell his house to cover his costs.

Anyone who said my wife and children were “legitimate targets” would risk more than having his nose broken and being dumped on his ass… I am amazed at the level of restraint you were able to demonstrate.

I would have shoved the tire iron so far up his ass that his teeth would have been knocked out.

I just don’t get it. Call me naive, but I am of the opinion that it’s easier to be nice to people – or at the very least leave them alone – than it is to be a jerk. In my opinion, being an asshole takes some effort - most of the time, you have to really work at being an asshole, which is what he seems to be doing.

I don’t understand that. I don’t know why someone would go through life like that. It seems to me that you’d be heading for an early grave, either through giving yourself heart attacks about trivial things or through getting in the face of the absolute wrong person.

I’m sorry, lieu, and I hope things work out for you and your neighbors. He’s reaping what he’s sown. It’s a shame it has to inconvenience you to such an extent, and I’m sure you’ve thought about what might happen after the trial, even if you win. After all, if this guy acted this way before without much provocation, who knows what life next to him will be like afterwards.

lieu - brave of you to stand up to this psychopath…the neighbors probably view you as a hero. If it’s any consolation, realize that he is on the path to his own destruction - sooner or later, he’ll step out of line in a bad way, and (hopefully) end up being someone’s “bitch” in prison.

This is little consolation I know, given the enormity of your situation, and it may not even be applicable to you, but in my city it is an ordinance violation for a neighbor to have a light that shines into your house.

So maybe you can have some small revenge by making him remove the lights (if in fact they shine into your house and not just your backyard). Every little bit helps.

Otherwise, good luck. And watch your back.

lieu so sorry to hear of your troubles. I wonder if you can get some kind of restraining order against him? I really hope the guy moves out of your neighborhood. Good luck with the lawsuit and take care.

You have described one of the fears I’ve entertained every time I’ve thought about buying. Scary ass neighbors.

Best of luck in court and very good thoughts for ever after.

You know- your neighbor is an asshole. However, I am afraid that you are a violent criminal. You hit first, with no reasonable expectation that “Bill” was going to do anything more that be a threatening asshole. And, you should not hit somebody for being an asshole. Maybe- if you had simply grabbed the tire iron- that could be “self defense”, but not punching him that hard & breaking his nose. That was simply wrong, and criminal to boot. Until you hit first- you had the moral high ground. No longer- no matter how big of an asshole he is.

Masonite is giving good advice. Move out. Now.

Oh, and yes, once he “tapped you on the chest with the tire iron”- he may have well have been guilty of assualt. At that point in time- you leave, go to your home, and call the freaken police.

I really can’t see as how you handled the situation at all, lieu. Looks more like the situation handled you. From what you’ve related above, it appears you could’ve walked away and contacted the law yourself in regard to the threats your neighbour apparently issued against your family.

But, no. You had to resort to violence. Actually, your intent to have a violent confrontation was evident, IMHO, from your act of going over to his place.

You did not relate here (perhaps you did in the deleted thread; however, it’s deleted and thus not available for perusal) what your wife meant by “almost hit.”

It also appears that there was no witness to the actual assault. You know, when you slugged your neighbour. Basically, it’s your word against his. Well, it’s basically your word against his and your self-admitted slugging him. It also appears that you’re going to be relying on the reputation this person has in the neighbourhood, said reputation you pretty well showed already was meaningless to you by your friendship with him.

Also, IMHO, the neighbour seems to be mentally ill.

You had plenty of opportunity to not go over there, you had plenty of opportunity to not stay there, and you certainly had plenty of opportunity not to break his nose.

I don’t join the rest of the crowd in bowing down to your so-called superiority. IMHO, you screwed up but good and the court is likely to let you know about it. And all this over something that almost happened, which you did not personally witness.

And before anyone commences freaking out: NO! I did not call your wife a liar. All I said is that you didn’t witness the event for which you went over and issued unlawful punishment.

My guess is that the court will find you guilty but that you might get lucky (actually, you probably will get lucky) and the judge will consider what you’ve related as mitigating factors. YES! The guy’s previous and public actions should be taken into account as a mitigating factor. Your belief that he threatened your family should definitely be taken into account as mitigating factors. They certainly shouldn’t be taken as exonerating you.

But that’s all IMHO. & possibly why it might be a good thing I haven’t served on a jury yet.