The crack epidemic in movies

It has been linked to an increase in crime in the US in the 80s and 90s.

I was watching some movies from that period and I was wondering if you could see any of the effects of this in the movies.

In some movies, like Robocop and Batman, the street just seems to be filled by violent psychopaths with no hope for the future. Is this just coincidence or could there be a connection?

I always interpreted The Crow to be a comment on the crack epidemic, and the decline of Detroit.

While Robocop might well be the same, I’d say that Batmans criminals were there back in the 40s, 50s and 60s. The recent movies may however have made out that drugs are far more of an influence on them…

New Jack City.

H-U-S-T-L-E-R hustler!

Seconded. For me New Jack City is THE definitive crack movie.

It was a belief in the 80s that drug and crime rates would just keep climbing forever until 150% of all people were junkie crooks. Just like how pollution was going to increase until 150% of the world was covered with thick smog, but nevertheless the population was going to keep rising until we hit 10 people per square metre. Oh, and 300% of all jobs were going to be taken over by machines.

Movies from that era tend to expound upon those themes, or even just take them for granted as part of the setting.

This is exactly what I’m thinking about. Are there any other movies that can be attributted to this?