The Danish butter cookies that come in a tin are awesome.

Yes, the pretzel ones are the best. :slight_smile:

Yep. Up until about a decade ago, I’d never run into bad blue-tin “Danish” cookies. Then the local after-market stores (e.g. TJ Maxx, DD’s, Ross, etc.) started carrying some off-brand look-alikes that were very disappointing.

Royal Dansk seems to be the classic brand that most people recall fondly. They’re still around, still made in Denmark, and still easy to find at local retailers and grocers.

Damn, I haven’t had those in ages! We used to get them all the time when I was a kid, and yeah, the pretzel ones were definitely the winners.

Fuck, now I’m going to have to go out and get myself a tin.

I don’t know if I was finding only the Chinese ones or not, but I remember liking them a LOT when I first discovered them in my teens. But later they didn’t taste the same. I didn’t know if it was my tastes changing or if they weren’t as good as I rememberd. I was very sad.

My mother used to make a type of Christmas cookie that she called “spritz” and that were very similar. A little lighter, but just as good. Still, those Danish butter cookies are awesome. I had to stop buying them because I couldn’t eat just a few in one sitting.

I was just about to grumble that they’re not available until the holidays, but I just checked and they’re available locally now.

Nice! Thanks for the reminder. I love those cookies.

I used to look for them locally every holiday season and be disappointed when I couldn’t find them.

Yeah, they seem to be around year-round now. Was that the case back in, say, the 1970s-80s? Not sure, but it really seemed like they were only a holiday thing.

In 1970s Dallas at least, we had to go all the way down to the one German store to find them when it wasn’t the holiday season.

I’ve made spritz cookies, love 'em. The dough is very butter-rich and you make festive Christmas shapes out of it with a cookie press. Bake, sprinkle on some colored sugar, and presto! They’re actually really easy,