The demise of New Year's Eve as a holiday

When I was a kid, back in the 50s, New Year’s Eve was a real holiday. Someone was always having a party, and you were considered to be antisocial if you stayed home or didn’t stay up 'til midnight. Even my parents, normally not so social, always had a New Year’s party to go to.

Today, things have really cooled down. People will go out for dinner or a movie, then go home and chill. No big parties, no big celebrations . . . Times Square notwithstanding.

Am I wrong about this?

We’re getting older. Staying up late isn’t as appealing.

A nice cup of chocolate, the ten o’clock news…bedtime. 2015 can wait until morning.

I like social events, but watching the ball drop is really boring.

New Year’s is a pretty dumb holiday, to be honest. “Oh, look! It’s midnight! The Earth has completed (roughly) one orbit since we last arbitrarily celebrated and…we haven’t all died, I guess, so that’s pretty cool!”

I don’t like to get out on the roads around the big holidays. I’m not going to hit a venue or something where I have to get on the road at 1 or 2 or 3 am. No matter how sober I am, other people aren’t.
I think we might babysit The Fella’s grandkid. I don’t miss the drunken party thing.

If a person lives in a place where it’s all drunken pubcrawl walking or raucous partying in a hotel, that sounds fun as hell. But as I live in the Suburbs, it’s all driving and no thanks.

As a professional alcoholic, I prefer to steer clear of the amateurs. Ya’ll are dangerous if not annoying.

The last time we did anything social on NYE, it was a party with a group of friends. We played some trivia and word games, one of which involved singing. Oddly enough, the two who insisted the loudest that they wouldn’t sing were the two we had to toughest time shutting up, and neither one was drinking! In fact, I don’t think there was any alcohol at the party at all.

It occurred some time in the mid-90s. Since then, it’s home, TV, and to bed early - pretty much every night here. :smiley:

I agree. Last time I went out on NYE, I kept getting stuck behind annoying 20 something women from the suburbs who would order some complicated Cosmo or other girly mixed drink, then use a credit card to pay for the one drink. Either run a tab or, even better pay cash!

dk,dc.

It’s just another day.

I went down to the Embankment one year with a pal to see the fireworks, but the crush of people was ridiculous. If you want to get a ‘good spot’ you’ve got to get there at stupid o’clock, then be crushed in with tourists and no way to wriggle out for a toilet break, &c. Anyway, Boris is charging £10 a head to look up, so it’s better just to stay at home and watch the New Year come in from the sofa.

This year we’ve got Charlie Brooker’s Yearly Wipe to catch up on, the Queen concert, and the annual hoping that the Millenium Wheel has been carelessly packed with fireworks so that it comes loose from its axel and goes sailing off down the Thames like a mad Catherine Wheel (and also to complain about the crap music they’ve chosen yet again to accompany the display). Depending on the direction, it could take out the Houses of Parliament, or, with a little sesmic help and using various buildings as flippers, it could roll bang smash into St Paul’s. This could be the year.

We give going out for NYE the good ol’ college try every year. But every good restaurant in the area limits their menu to selections we find boring and ridiculous. Parking in the city is a cluster. By the time we get to booking reservations there is only early seating (5:30pm) or late seating (10:30pm) when the live band and drunken dancing begins. And with our luck we’ll be seated right next to either the band or the dance floor.

So in the end, it’s NYE at home by the fire with finger foods, a chilled bottle of champagne and watching the painfully uncomfortable exchange between Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin (are there two hosts in this world with less chemistry between them?). Sometimes we even make it to midnight before going to bed.

I think the kids still make a big deal of it. The Wife and I have neither the energy nor the budget to go out somewhere. We’ll be at a friend’s house; last year we all agreed that 10:30 was late enough.

After reading 12 posts, why do I get the feeling that the Dope ain’t the most fun place on the internet anymore? :frowning:

Yeah…I’m old ,too.
But I used to be young. Honest! And , man, were there a few memorable New Years parties back then.

Surely there are still a few people on this site under 30?
You know, the kind of people who dalej42 complained about in post #8 ?
Speak out! Where are you when we need you for some cheering up?

I call it the “hangover holiday”, a holiday started because the assumption that a significant portion of the populace is recovering from the previous night’s drunk-fest, so why not give them the day off?

I usually work early on New Year’s Day so I’m in bed by 10PM or so. This year is no different.

My husband is helping out a friend of ours who owns a pizza shop. The good thing is that the shop’s only open until 9PM and then there’s a party for the employees. The owner did the same thing last year. The party broke up around 11PM because everybody was too tired. Most of his employees are under 30 years old, btw.

I don’t do well in crowds so I always shied away from going out on New Year’s Eve to begin with. We always did the order-Chinese-food-watch-TV-special thing when I was growing up, and it eventually expanded to include extended family and friends.

Okay, for you we will set up a party with hookers and blackjack.

A lot of people I know are having celebrations- often low-key dinner parties and the like. My younger friends are going out on the town. We are going to have a night at home. We don’t get a ton of time together as a family, and it will be nice to connect.

I’ve never been a fan of partying on NYE, despite being a fan of parties in general. It just never seems that fun- there isn’t any real focus besides ten seconds of counting down, the weather is miserable, the roads are dangerous and everything is crowded. And beyond that, it just tends to feel kind of forced.

Every NYE from ages 16-24 I tried really, really hard to have a good time. Every NYE I failed spectacularly. It is a terrible holiday to celebrate, especially if you don’t drink. Every other holiday has traditions and food and games and such but New Year’s Eve is just for drinking until midnight and then hoping you find someone to kiss you when the ball drops (and watching all the people who weren’t lip-locked during the countdown drunkenly wail about how this next year is obviously going to suck.)

The year I met my husband he and I ordered chinese food and watched reruns of Roseanne all night and we had a fabulous time. That has since become our NYE tradition and it is way more fun than all that partying I tried to do when I was younger.

Maybe it’s party fatigue. A lot of folks did it up royal for Christmas and now they just want to relax and decompress from all the festive stuff they’ve had to endure for the past two month. I know that’s how I feel.

Maybe people partied heartier in the past because they didn’t have anything better to do? They didn’t have “Breaking Bad” or “Twilight Zone” marathons they could watch or computer games to play. I think people value their “me time” a lot more than they used to, because there are so many different ways to have fun all by yourself. And none of them give you a hangover or wear you out.

When I was little, all of us kids would take all the kitchen pots and pans to the front porch and bang on them when it was New Year’s. That’s what constituted “fun” back in the day. Now it’s Twitter and taking selfies and other stuff. It wasn’t a better time back then. Just different.

I’ll be at a party tonight. Even odds someone’s marriage will suffer a road-bump for the entertainment of all.