The Devil....

In reference to the chicken-egg conundrum, the rooster had to come first.

The hen, of course, does not have orgasms so it follows that…
Never mind.

If you’re an optimist, you haven’t been paying attention.

Oh, and thank you all for the support, but it takes more than an insignificant nonentity to get my Irish up.

Hades, the Greek god of the underworld (duh) had a bident- just like a trident, but with two points (again, duh). The trident is a little more impressive and scary than the bident, so perhaps this is why our modern-day devil carries one.

Pollyboy, I’ve read your questions. You’re right, the posters in the General Questions Section are not up to your elevated level.
Why don’t you come on over to the BBQ Pit, where there are people who will appreciate your intelligence and wit, and give the the responses you so rightfully deserve.

They call me MISTER Wizard!

I always thought the “Chicken or the Egg” conundrum was really a question of Creationism vs. Evolution.

Not a very good question, though.

Since we know that Lamarck was wrong about acquired characteristics, there had to be a time when a bird laid an egg that was enough unlike itself to start a chain of events that led to the chicken.

By this reasoning, the egg came first. The chicken came later.

Colonel Sanders came later still.

Sorry. I had no right to inflict that upon the Gentle Posters.

If you’re an optimist, you haven’t been paying attention.

Glad somebody finally cited Cecil’s column. Also the Oct. 99 Smithsonian has a pretty comprehensive article about Satan and the depiction of the devil through the ages.
Jill

Jill-

I haven’t received the October issue yet. It should be interesting.

Jumping tracks here, what’s up with durians? I have gone for at least five years since I last heard mention of the fruit (and that in conjunction with orang-utan dietary needs) and all of a sudden both Smithsonian andNatural History have an article on it in the same month! Are the American Durian Council planning a sales push? Enquiring minds want to know. And if durians suddenly become the next trendy food, remember that I spotted the trend first…

Dr. Fidelius, Charlatan
Associate Curator Anomalous Paleontology, Miskatonic University
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur