The Diplomat - what a hoot! {Spoilers Allowed}

d’oh!

I started watching the first couple of episodes and it just wasn’t “clicking” for me, kinda like The Night Agent (which I gave up on).

After reading this thread, I decided to rewatch it. This time I watched without any distractions (no phone for example) and it made a lot more sense. There were a few key action points that I had missed the first time. It’s a show that you need to pay attention to.

I also caught a few goofs, like the very first shot is of the ship plowing through the water, but the overhead shot with the explosion showed the ship stopped dead in the water when the explosion occurs. And do ambassadors have to ride in a carriage? And she wasn’t able to pack one decent item to wear, knowing where she was going?

With all that said, I’ll finish the session; Keri Russell is a treasure!

What’s a “decent item”? She was planning to go to Afghanistan. I don’t own any of the clothes they wanted her to have.

How does your phone disturb you when watching TV? Are you receiving calls, or doing something else on your phone?

Reading Straight Dope, of course!

The very short lived British show The Ambassadors (starring Mitchell & Webb) did have everyone running into a SCIF when needed and integrated it into the plot.

That would scratch my itch. :smiley: The Diplomat has the ambo discussing sensitive info in her residence, which is densely populated with local staff.

We also went from “The Night Agent” to “The Diplomat”.
Diplomat is ten and one half times better.

Thank you for that Cone of Silence. It never fails to hit both my funny and my nostalgia bone.

mmm

All right - spoil away!

If that wasn’t the MOST big developments in the final 5 minutes of the last ep, it has to be in the running.

So - who is dead (other than the Tory MP)? And did the PM do it?

Where do you think the next season will pick up? The next day? A few months later? Or 6 mos+ when the VP is in play?

I can’t remember exactly how the bomb scene played out. How close were her staff and husband to the car? Or was that intentionally vague.

Regardless, I think Hal and Stuart are fine since their storylines are not finished. Ronnie, who all of a sudden had a bigger part, likely dead.

This is excellent so far. The cast is great.

I didn’t realize that Keri Russell could act. What a nice surprise.

Definitely this. I sure hope they don’t kill either character.

Yea, me either. And that part was less a bombshell than “the call is coming from inside the house” revelation about who hired the attack. Did not see that coming at all.

You owe it to yourself to binge all 6 seasons of The Americans.

Fun show, I got more hooked with each episode. Tons of implications/problems stemming from the last five minutes.

There’s definitely a Veep vibe to the dialogue and I like that, too.

Excellent writing and acting. Raced through the episodes in three days which only happens with a series a couple times a year.

It was fun to see Rufus Sewell (as Hal the Husband); I’ve barely seen him in anything, but he left a strong impression when I watched Cold Comfort Farm around the turn of the century.

A favorite part of the series was the realistic treatment of bathroom breaks. After the president arrives by helicopter, finding a restroom is a priority concern.

The writing was good enough that minor lapses were noticeable. For instance, I thought the characters over-reacted to Hal scheduling a meeting with an MP in the last episode — but maybe I didn’t understand all the implications. I thought Katie had recently extended him more leeway.

I finished the season yesterday: I knew I liked it, but when I was casting about for the next thing to binge-watch I found myself wishing there were more episodes. That hardly ever happens. :slight_smile:

I recognized the actor who plays Stuart right away, but I needed IMDb’s help to identify him: on Elementary, Ato Essandoh was Alfredo Llamosa (Sherlock’s sponsor in a few seasons). I love that show, and had recently re-watched his seasons.

That’s my guess, as well.

I won’t be surprised if Hal is seriously injured/on death’s door at the start of the next season, but I’m hoping they avoid that trope. (The injured party could also be Stuart, but if it’s Hal it plays more into the “troubled marriage” subplot.)

Katie had let him start being a little more involved behind the scenes, including giving a supposedly nonattributable speech at Chatham House in an emergency (notice how ruffled everyone was when Hal waved the Chatham House Rule?), but attempting to respond in any kind of capacity when approached by an MP was beyond the pale, IMO – not to mention the whole “would you like to talk to the White House Chief of Staff” offer. (Me in my head to Hal: “Dude…WTF?!?”)

Hated it and turned it off mid-episode 3. And comparisons to The West Wing are blasphemous. What? A homage to Keri Russell produced by Keri Russell. Blech

I’m certain it was intentionally vague.

And i agree with you. Hal and Stuart are too important to the narrative to be dead.

But … killing off an MP that we know nothing about? What’s with that?

It has been renewed for season 2.

He knows about the kill order and had to be silenced before he communicated it to the Americans. They didn’t say this, but provided all the clues to piece this together.