The Diplomat - what a hoot! {Spoilers Allowed}

Anyone else watching?

Not sure what the policy is on spoilers. Keri Russell is great - as is the rest of the cast.

“A MONTH?!” :smiley:

If you want to have spoilers, it should be in the title. Let us know.

Added to title at Dinsdale’s request.

Also started watching the show just now.

I’m 2 episodes in - this show is fantastic. As a spy/state department intrigue show, it’s great. The amount of humor is really surprising - but it absolutely works. The writing is impeccable as well. I’m sure Netflix will announce they’re not renewing a 2nd season any day now.

Done. And done!

Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. As mentioned above, Keri Russell is fantastic, and plays entirely within plausible range of a professional diplomat you’d toy with at your peril. If you liked her in the Americans, you can only continue to fall in love with this woman who could snap you like a twig.

In some other shows the brief appearances by Christopher Guest as POTUS would be scene stealers and cameo highlights, but here they are only another cherry on top of this hugely tasty treat.

The writing is great - sharp and witty, and Mr Exposition seldom has to come visiting.

Three chefs hats as a fun time treat.

I watched it yesterday during a binge-session for ANZAC day. Brilliant series, fab cast, and I was very disappointed that it only went for 8 episodes. I very much hope that they just don’t leave it (and me) hanging!!

Thanks for the tip – will be watching!

Fun fact – there are actually two different TV series called The Diplomat, both released this year, and they have nothing to do with each other. The one being discussed here is the Netflix production with Keri Russell, the other is a UK production starring Sophie Rundle. Not sure if the latter is even available to North American viewers but I was confused for a moment when I tried looking up the show on IMdB and the first hit was the UK show.

I have one episode left. I love it enough that I was planning to start a thread if there was not one already.

Yes, Russell is outstanding, but so is every other cast member. The story is, to me, believable enough and the writing sparkles. This is why I watch television.

I have to assume there will be a Season Two.

mmm

I’m halfway through and am enjoying it very much. I’ll be back when I finish.

I’m in the fortunate position of having not even started it – and based on the reviews and the comments here, I’m really looking forward to it. I see that comparisons have been made with The West Wing.

Yep, very good from start to finish, with a great cliff-hanger leaving you demanding a second season. As I mentioned in my “series” thread, they must have an advisor who is familiar with the Department of State, as there are many goings on that mirror my own experience with that bureaucracy, especially the back-biting and infighting. Unfortunately, I also notice glaring errors in procedures, such as discussing classified or sensitive information on a cellphone, or talking about TS matters outside of the SCIF. Also, no ambassador rides in a vehicle that has not been “hardened”, i.e. bulletproofed. But they’re minor details, and for the sake of story flow you can’t have everyone running for the SCIF every time something is discussed. Keri Russell and Rufus Sewell are stellar, with Sewell carrying off an American accent to perfection, and the plotting is excellent.

Great to hear all the positive comments- I noticed it on our Netflix feed, and now that Mrs. solost and I finished “Night Agent” we will likely move on to this, especially with the good recs.

So, is the show more of a “West Wing” style talky drama, or more like a thriller, like the aforementioned Night Agent? Little of both, maybe?

Different Spinal Tap member. That’s Michael McKean.

Sometimes you do have to give up some real-life detail for the sake of the story. The idea of “everyone running for the SCIF every time something is discussed” might be a little to close to this … :grin:

Ha! It really does bother me, though; it’s a throwback to my days working for Diplomatic Security.

Yeah - President “Lenny” is great. I think we have 2 more eps left.

I happen to have heard that SCIFs can pop up and disappear basically at certain persons’ whims.

Not really a thriller at all - tho there is global security drama. We stopped The Night Agent when it seemed folk were going to overrun the one character’s parents’ house, and the parents were arming themselves. Nothing like that in this show. Definitely more “talky.”

Not sure about the modern ones. The ones we used to build were pretty permanent, with noise machines and baffles, etc., but that was more than 30 years ago.

Just finished it. Great series. Good mix or humor and politics, etc. Hoping there is a Season 2.

I was jokingly referring to Trump’s handling of documents.

My husband started this, and i joined him after a couple of episodes. I’m now going back and watching the beginning ones i missed. This is great. Really enjoying it.

It’s not wrong if the President says it’s not.