The direction of planetary system spin.

I know cecil has addressed a similar question before, but I don’t think he answered this: Assuming I was at a fixed point in space and looking in a particular direction, would planets all spin round their star in the same direction? (i.e clockwise/anticlockwise - I think the phrasing of the question solves the ‘depends on your point of view’ objection.)

Planetary systems are devloped from swirling clouds of interstellar matter and gas. The direction of swirl determines the ultimate direction the revolving planets take.

However, something that rotates clockwise when you look at it from one side will rotate the opposite way when viewed from the other side. Since planteary systems don’t have a top or bottom to reference since there is no up or down in space it’s even harder to find a base comparison.

One way for a planet to spin the wrong way around a star would be for the star to pick up a wandering interstellar object, or picking up a planet from another star who passed too close.

I suppose that if a planetary system had a couple of Jupiter sized planets with close together orbits they could interact in such a way that the solar system could have retrograde planets.

Never say never. Not too long ago, astronomers never figured that a Jupiter-sized planet could form right next to a star. But many of the extra-solar planets that we’ve found (so far) are just like that.