The Domincan Republic is preparing to engage in ethnic cleansing.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/06/14/1393198/-Dominican-Republic-to-be-Socially-Cleaned-in-two-days?detail=email

They’re about to dump 250,000 people into the poorest nation in the hemisphere, which has difficulty housing even it’s current population. Read the full article. This is racism; lighter skinned versus darker skinned.

While racism may be a factor, it appears (at least on the surface) to be a matter of national sovereignty. The Haitians are not Dominican citizens - they should be able to claim citizenship in Haiti. The Dominican Republic doesn’t appear to have *jus soli *, the right of citizenship upon birth on Dominican soil. So these folks never had Dominican citizenship to begin with.

It’s not a good situation for anyone involved, but to ascribe it solely to racism seems misguided. There are plenty of reasons why the government would want to do this. This looks like a political and economic issue more than anything else. I’m sure there are racial factors but I wouldn’t hazard a guess as to how important they are in the big picture.

It’s not racism. The DR is simply practicing the principle of citizenship used by most sovereign states worldwide. The DR has no obligation to provide for the welfare of some other nation’s citizens.

They are stripping the citizenship of people who have been there for several generations based on their ethnic background. And racism is certainly a factor.

Is their citizen actually being stripped? That is, are they actually considered citizens now, or is that they consider themselves to be citizens, regardless of what the state says.

Are you actually reading the links, these people HAVE citizenship RIGHT NOW, it is being TAKEN AWAY by a new constitution passed five years ago. This is retroactive legislation, which should be illegal.

Imagine a US citizen born in the USA, told their citizenship is being stripped and they can go try to get citizenship from a country they have never been to. That country has no obligation to offer citizenship to them, and they may not even be able to document the relationship to grand or great grandparents.

Not that long ago there was no concept of immigration control in the carribean, people moved from island to island willy nilly. My wife’s grandmother didn’t even have a BC, they think she was born in St Vincent.

I’m confused. The banner headline date is today. The dates by the writer’s name is 2 years old. When were these stories written?

This article from the New York Times explains the issues.

In 2013, there was a decision to strip citizenship from some Haitian immigrants, including children of some immigrants. International outcry lead to softening of that position, and a new law was passed that includes registration and nationalization procedures (which are still controversial).

Today (June 16, 2015), the country is planning to start deporting a large number of migrant workers, who are undocumented and are not citizens. This action has lead news organizations to recall the separate citizenship issue, and write stories that conflate the two and cause confusion.

The Dominican Republic doesn’t have Jus Soil, so these people were granted citizenship on the premise that their parents were citizens. If they were later found to have been not citizens then their children’s citizenship is also not legit. The country could make an exception, they could decide on humanitarian grounds to keep their citizenship, or make other arrangements, but I don’t see that they’re required by law to do so.

If I were one of these people I’d be upset, worried, and scrambling to deal with the situation. It sucks, on every level. But it sounds mostly legal, if a shitty thing to do. Granted, I know little about international law and whether that really is legal.

The US can strip citizenship for naturalized citizens - Can Your U.S. Citizenship Be Revoked? - FindLaw This can also apply to children of these people:

The New York Times does a much better job with the story, including the important fact that undocumented workers (most, BUT not all of whom are Haitian) can register, but most haven’t.

The courts did strip the citizenship of the children of these undocumented workers (to which they had no actual claim), BUT it did offer citizenship to the children whose births were in the national registry. Those who weren’t in the registry could apply for legal residency and eventually citizenship if they could prove they were born in the DR.

Factually incorrect.

Read the Times article.

OP: do you understand that just because the United States has a constitutional provision granting citizenship to anyone born within its borders…that doesn’t create some sort of natural law that ALL countries must.

Right?

There is this from The American Convention on Human Rights, which the DR signed:

I have no idea how legally binding that is.

ETA: :: Multilateral Treaties > Department of International Law > OAS ::

The thread title is misleading and hyperbolic. Ethnic cleansing is normally reserved for actions like genocide, not deportation, at least in my opinion.

I’m not sure what you think that proves. The people in question have the right to Haitian citizenship. The deprivation of Dominican citizenship is not arbitrary.

Do they? I don’t know. What if the Haitian Government decides they don’t? Also, there’s statement 3. I’m not saying it’s solid, but rights have been found in the US constitution on shakier grounds, IMO.

No, it’s not.

Yes.

What is arbitrary about this action? Most countries do NOT operate under jus soli, as the US does.

You are shattering my dreams of a legal career. :frowning:

Think of it as the best favor anyone ever did for you. :smiley: