The Duggars whelp again

These are “Full Quiver” fundies, though - it’s not (just) that they think that non-procreative sex is fornication, they sincerely believe that they are the “good guys” and that they’re helping fulfil God’s plan by outbreeding the “bad guys.”

Their children are ammuniition in a culture war.

I’m pretty sure that’s what little Jennifer had in mind since she was five days late. I guess Ma Duggar’s uterus just started slowly inching her towards the exit - at this point, I’m surprised her uterus doesn’t come out with the baby.

When I was a kid, there were two families where I grew up that had large numbers of kids. We’re talking somewhere in the neighborhood of the low teens, and after a certain point you could tell there was a certain lack of, uh, “quality” in the kids, if you know what I mean. The older kids would be fine, but the younger ones tended to have developmental problems or were just plain dumb.

You know, it’s not for everyone. I completely understand that. However, these people are not in debt - how many of you can say that with only a few kids, or none at all? They have a home big enough for their family, and they have one-on-one time with all of them (I’ve seen a few of their shows) probably more than most families do.

I’m not going to pop out 15 more children, but I’m not going to rag on these people for doing what they want to do, while not being on public assistance or harming anyone. And before anyone tells me that they’re harming their children, I know plenty of families with lots and lots of kids, I’m from a Mormon area and I was Catholic. My good friend Michelle’s dad was from a family of 29 children and they all turned out just fine.

There isn’t enough time in a day to give that many children the recommended amount of attention. Forget what you saw on TV, with that many children, the entire family has to spend the majority of the day cooking, cleaning and doing laundry. I would bet the children spend the majority of time doing chores instead of doing normal things.

And the weird old ladies who have 100 cats, but can afford to them, isn’t it still bizarre? Good for him he’s not on welfare, but that’s hardly the point- its the mentality behind it. Guys with similar mentalities are the ones who bomb abortion clinics and think gays are going to burn in hell.

From what I’ve read, not only do they not use FAM, they believe they are obligated to have as many kids as possible, to the point of super-early weaning to subvert the natural suppression of ovulation breastfeeding causes.

I think they are bad parents. They start out by having babies very close together, which is known to be a risk to the babies’ health. Then they withdraw breastmilk from them, introducing more risks. Plus overall, they can’t possible give appropriate attention to each child, and instead let the older ones raise the younger, and it seems they are raising the girls to be broodcows with no brains.

So they are not on welfare, and they don’t outright abuse and neglect the kids in a legal sense. So what? That argument is just "NABA NABA "

I’m of two minds about this. On the one hand, they’re not a burden on society, they can apparently afford their brood, and the children seem well-behaved.

On the other, there is no opportunity for one on one time with Mom and Dad. IIRC from when she was pregnant with number 14, each baby is Mom’s until it’s weaned, then one of the older children becomes its “buddy.” The “buddy” is repsonsible for helping the younger child get dressed, do chores, etc.

So basically, the older children are raising the younger children. Not good for either set.

Sadly, this reminds me of Andrew Dice Clay.

Isn’t this basically how farm-life was for, like, ever?

Raise enough children to work the farm, do the chores, help mom, etc. Except the Duggars don’t have a farm.

I also think they’re bad parents because they’re clearly not giving their kids a good education. There is no way it’s possible for that woman to teach that many kids in such a wide age range, while also caring for a baby or two. Homeschooling is fine, but in the show I saw she was talking to them like they were about 5 - some are, but the oldest is what, 18? How is he ever going to get into a university with that crappy education?

In a way, but in the olden days (as I mentioned above), you had to nurse your babies, and therefore were unlikely to have one per year. And of course many of them died, so even if you had 18 babies, you most likely didn’t have 18 children to raise.

They are truly a twisted coupling of iron-age morals and modern secular medical technology.

:dubious: You don’t say.

Love it! That comment is comedy gold.

As for the endless babymaking that the Duggars are so fond of, I’d wait to see if they truly are not a burden on society. I can’t conceive that JimBob has the kind of money it takes to put 17 children + through college or whether those kidlets will be taking out loans. I also can’t believe that not ONE of those kids is gay, and I can’t wait for that closet to pop open.

I’m sure Liberty University or Bob Jones will be happy to have him.

I’ve heard of them, but never watched the show.

How do they support them and live “debt free”?? I know the dad is( or was) a state lawmaker. That doesn’t pay much. They live in a 7000 sqft house and have to feed 19 mouths. How?

They made some wise real estate decisions when they were young.

They own an insurance company and a convenience store, IIRC.

You think? Hmm…maybe I can ship my 4 out there for an intensive summer camp or something :smiley:

You think they kept all the children she gave birth to? :smiley:

My opinion on the clown car method of family planning - I don’t think North Americans are exempt from responsible breeding to curb over-population (and I still think that is an issue; I haven’t seen any real proof here yet that’s convinced me otherwise), and I think these kids are getting a crappy deal. These are two of the most selfish parents I’ve heard of in a long time.

Go ahead, I doubt they’d notice if they had any extras! :smiley:

The oldest has his GED and one special mentioned that he was taking community college classes. With an associate’s degree he shouldn’t have much trouble getting into a good college.