The Duke of York, and York

The title Duke of York is given to the Number Two in line for the British Throne. In the same way Number One is the Prince of Wales.

Now the PoW has the Duchy of Wales that provided him a nice little income.

Does the Duke of York have any relationship at all to York? Does he (have to) live there? Keep a house there? Preside at the Blessing of the Hounds there? Anything at all?

In the same way, does the Duke of Rutland, or the Earl of Exter have anything to do with or for those places? What about the 7th Lord Penrhyn?

He doesn’t: he has the Duchy of Cornwall. There isn’t a Duchy of Wales.

AFAIK, some titles bear no relationship whatseover to their geographical designation. E.g. Blenheim Palace near me is the seat of the Duke of Marlborough, which is about 60 miles’ distant.

I knew that. Once.

Well, the Duke of Rutland has a castle there, and if I’m not mistaken, lives in it.

http://www.belvoircastle.com/

Boy, did I ever get the short end of the stick…

The first point to make is that Prince Andrew is currently fourth, not second, in line to the throne.

As for his connections to York, he has a few. See his entry in Burke’s Peerage. One assumes that he wouldn’t have been appointed as a freeman of the city or as patron of Opera North, the York Minster Fund and the Yorkshire Business Conference, if he hadn’t had York in his title. For clued-up local organisations hoping to recruit a royal patron, it is no doubt a smart move to approach him first on the basis that he might agree simply on that basis. One certainly assumes that all these appointments will have been sought by the organisations themselves rather than the other way round. And, no, he doesn’t have any property there.

For other peers, whether they own land in the places from which they take their titles varies enormously. Some do, usually because their ancestor chose that particular title because that was where they already owned estates. But others no longer own land there or never did do so in the first place. As it happens, the Earls/Marquesses of Exeter are a good example of this, as they never owned estates in Exeter and their main estates were around Stamford at the opposite end of the country. Moreover, the present Marquess lives in the USA and the estates, including Burghley, are held by a trust controlled by another branch of the family.

jjimm is right. Up until early last century, the local stately home here was the ancestral seat of the Earls of Balcarres and Crawford. Both Balcarres and Crawford are in Scotland, yet the ancestral home is in Wigan, England, hundreds of miles away.

In this heat wave we’re having, getting circulating air is very important. Is it more efficient in the evening to have a fan in the window 1) blowing the hot room air out, or 2) blowing the cool outside air in? Assume other open windows for circulation.

Oops…that was meant as a new thread. Lousy multiple windows…

Carry on.

And what exactly does the Duke Duke Duke Duke of Earl have?

I didn’t think duchies in England had any income attached to them anymore.

Was I wrong?

-FrL-

The Prince of Wales, as Duke of Cornwall, lives on the income generated from the Duchy. For this reason he is the only member of the Royal Family not to receive an income from the Government, as part of the Civil List. (The money given by the state to the monarchy in the Civil List is part of an old deal by which the monarch gave up all income from land owned by the Royals, etc in exchange for a government income.)

The reigning monarch, by the way, is also the Duke of Lancaster.

There are two special duchies – “Royal Duchies” – that have estates and incomes attached: the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall. Ever since Henry V became king, the reigning monarch is Duke of Lancaster, and ever since the time of the Black Prince, the heir to the throne has been Duke of Cornwall.

She wouldn’t be the Duchess of Lancaster?

Duke. She is also Lord of Mann.

All I know about the Duke of York is that he had ten thousand men, he marched them up the hill, then he marched them down again, rinse repeat but faster

Is the monarch also The Duke of Normandy? I believe so, but ICBW.

the Duke of Devonshire’s estate and main residence is in Derbyshire. The Earls of Derby had property mostly around Liverpool

All right, you had me LMAO! :stuck_out_tongue: But I don’t think a lot of people get the reference.

Yes. The Monarch’s use of the title of Duke of Normandy after the Treaty of Paris (1259 CE) refers to the Channel Islands that were formerly part of the Duchy of Normandy.