The earth has shifted on its axis.

^^This.

Earthquakes moving the planet are nothing new. Has been happening since the planet formed.

It is only interesting in noting how much power was unleashed. That is pretty cool but I think most people do not grasp what it takes to move a whole planet so much as a millimeter.

This quake was insanely powerful in mere human terms. Nukes look like firecrackers in comparison.

Damn Earth. I want my extra 1.26 millionths of a second sleep back. :mad:

It’s not possible to shift the surface of a globe and end up moving everything by the same amount (this is related to the ‘hairy ball’ problem in mathematics/topology).

I won’t say my post was a whoosh, but it was intended to be a pun, perhaps best enjoyed by programmers. “Global” data replacement? Too subtle?

Wow GQ has certainly gotten more liberal in acceptable responses.

I read the report on BBC and wanted to ask the same question.

What does it mean? Tilted 4 inches along the vertical axis? What is that effect along the equator? 100 miles up and down? Is it really just quasi science hack journo speak?

Just asking

I don’t think the *angle *shifted 4".

As for gaining/losing time: That was for that moment. If something is going X speed and there is energy released in the system, if enough energy is in the right direction, it positively affects the speed of the system. Over the long run… meh. It’ll all shakes out in the end, given all the seismic (and other) ‘stuff’.

If you relocate East on the planet and never moved back West, you’ve lost up to 12 hours of time.

Saving; daylight saving time. Sorry, it’s a peeve of mine.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/13/scitech/main20042590.shtml

x-ray vision

thanks, good information to enable me to continue a little more research

What the hell does that mean? That isn’t even a real sentence.

It should read more like this:

The above is a quote by the same scientist and it was written in an article regarding the Chilean earthquake in 2010.
http://www.braindroppings.com/2010/03/02/chilean-earthquake-shifted-the-earths-axis-shortened-days/

Now THAT makes sense!
Now if all the people in China got up on a chair…Nah. Never mind.

Wow, I’ve never seen a peeve that wasn’t a pet.

Are you saying that you had a pet peeve that got so out of control that it went feral and took off for the woods and howls out there at night and if you could even find it and tried to pick it up it’d tear a chunk out of your hand and you’d have to get reconstructive surgery and a full course of rabies shots and so your beloved peeve is no longer safe as a pet?

Regarding the movement of the Japanese island, how does that affect GPS? Is there a way that the satellites recalibrate locations?

I’d like some of what you’re smoking, mate.

Wild Peeves. Band name!

I’m smokin’ real life, mate!
“I’m high all right…but not on false drugs. I’m high on the real thing: powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine!”

– a pilot/evangelist character from Firesign Theater

Somebody want to take a shot at this?

It’s just a jump to the left…

Huh, I thought things looked a bit out of whack.